Would DirectX 12 Support from Parallels Improve Your Experience?

  • No - I don't utilize solutions that need DirectX 12

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    3
  • Poll closed .
I sense the new Game Porting Toolkit on macOS Sonoma is going to answer a lot of DirectX 12 needs (a simple Google search will show Diablo 4 running on macOS Sonoma beta with the GPT; and many other games).
 
Parallels NEEDS to start to develop support for DirectX 12. Aludo should understand that Parallels is a powerful solution for Mac users. But as Apple begins to open up support for enterprise and gaming, Parallels will start to lose out on users to Crossover and other Hypervisors that are waiting for the right time to strike. We are about seven years into DirectX 12, and the means to develop support from Parallels should now exist. If this is in active alpha stages at this point, that's great, but an announcement or hint at it from PMs or marketing would be great, as I am already thinking about just dropping my business plan in lieu of buying a second laptop for work at this point. Really don't want to do it, but hey I game too. Thanks DevTeam!
 
With the recent release of the Apple's Game Porting Toolkit (GPTK) which uses Apple's own D3DMetal that supports both DX11 and DX12, shouldn't DX12 support be coming very soon to Parallels Desktop for Mac? I honestly was expecting it to be released in version 19 and was very sad to learn that it wasn't.

Is there a timeline for implementation?
 
I also am waiting for DX12 support, without it I won't be renewing my registration for this product. I only got it for playing one game, which is now only DX12.
 
It's not clear that Apple will allow their GPTK to be used in this way. I hope they do but they have positioned it more for games developers than end users. Also despite the announcement that Crossover can now support DX12, each game achieving compatibility seems to be case by case and was still single digits when I last checked the site. A friend of my who is a games developer said part of the problem is that a number of games engines have built themselves to workaround some of the bugs or undocumented behaviour in DX12 - therefore a straight generic translation to Metal is much harder than it first appears as all that needs to be worked through. I would imagine they will wait until the number of compatible games is well into double digits before announcing support otherwise there will be too many titles that just don't work well.
 
please add direct 12 compatibility for high end graphic programs, such as simulations/rendering (add ons for construction/engineering/architecture, weather, temperature, humidity, wind simulation programs) or/and gaming. Gaming gives often a good indication in what direction graphics on professional programs (rendering/simulation) develop. Paralles is in long term only interesting, when on track with the development.
Many thanks you for your support.
 
The Touryst
* With latest Parallels 20.1.2 DirectX 12 (Tier 1) is supported, but game tries to start and fails saying that it requires Tier 2.
Q: What is Tier 2 and is that coming? I've been waiting for almost 2 years!
 
Back
Top