Can you provide a roadmap for OpenGL 4.x support?
If you have any problems, please share with the community.
 
Wow! It's really impressive to discover that it's being 4 years that people are asking this upgrade and you still did nothing
 
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

We've clarified the information with the Development Team, and we'd like to confirm that indeed currently Parallels Desktop only support up to OpenGL 3.3 in Windows virtual machines. Our Development Team is working on implementing support for higher versions. At the same time, it is important to note that in macOS itself, the support is limited to up to OpenGL 4.1. Therefore, it isn't likely that support for higher versions of OpenGL in virtual machines running on macOS will be implemented in the foreseeable future.
 
It's been long enough. Open GL4.1 support is mandatory. This is even more critical as there is no other way to run Windows 11 apps on M1 systems except Parallels. I used to be able to use bootcamp but not know. I use professional grade 3D applications that need a minimum of 4.1. When will we see this?
Thanks
 
It's been long enough. Open GL4.1 support is mandatory. This is even more critical as there is no other way to run Windows 11 apps on M1 systems except Parallels. I used to be able to use bootcamp but not know. I use professional grade 3D applications that need a minimum of 4.1. When will we see this?
Thanks
VMware Fusion supports OpenGL 4.3 and offers 40% off to crossgrade from Parallels Desktop.
 
It's been long enough. Open GL4.1 support is mandatory. This is even more critical as there is no other way to run Windows 11 apps on M1 systems except Parallels. I used to be able to use bootcamp but not know. I use professional grade 3D applications that need a minimum of 4.1. When will we see this?
Thanks
Hey @StephenP21, what's the software name(s)?
 
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

We've clarified the information with the Development Team, and we'd like to confirm that indeed currently Parallels Desktop only support up to OpenGL 3.3 in Windows virtual machines. Our Development Team is working on implementing support for higher versions. At the same time, it is important to note that in macOS itself, the support is limited to up to OpenGL 4.1. Therefore, it isn't likely that support for higher versions of OpenGL in virtual machines running on macOS will be implemented in the foreseeable future.


This could be a great opportunity to go way beyond what MacOS natively supports.
One path to achieve that would be for Parallels to implement drivers for Vulkan (possibly achieved as a thin wrapper around MoltenVK).. which may then provide a path to using Zink to achieve OpenGL 4.6 support.

Reference: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Mesa-22.0-Build-macOS-Zink
 
Parallels 19 has landed with OpenGL 4.1 support for Windows guests.. Linux guests are still stuck on 4.0 via virGL, hopefully that gets a bump at some stage
 
After loading parallels 19 my Parallels will crash when I try to open Wysiwyg files. Any help?
Hey @JariV2, the next time you open Parallels Desktop, it is supposed to offer you to send a technical report - have you seen such an offer? Would you please send us a report and reply with the report ID? Also, you say "after loading v19", does it mean that you have used a previous version successfully?
 
Me pasa lo mismo.

el 18 lo abría pero no funcionaba bien .
Mande el reporte del crash pero no obtenido ninguna respuesta.

The same thing happens to me.

I opened it on the 18th but it didn't work well.

Send the crash report but didn't get any response.
 
Seconding request for openGL 4.2 or higher in windows or linux on mac apple silicon hosts please.
I see vmware fusion has it and it is working, so it must be technically doable somehow.
I dont want to switch to fusion from parallels because i love parallels so much, but certain games i want to play aren't working.

interestingly the main game "Beyond All Reason" WAS partially working under parallels 18 (some shaders werent loading because of a need for GLSL42), but now under parallels 19 it crashes the whole VM out. I have sent a number of crash reports about this.
 
I use Cadmatic 2023 Draw 3D modeling software (similar to Acad).
After newest release (I have updated to MacOs Sonoma, parallels 19 and Cadmatic. I noticed this problem after these updates, but I dont know which cause the problem), i cant use 3D shading.
Cadmatic error code is: There is no compatible OpenGL version what is needed. Recommendation is 4.3 or higher, minimum 3.3.
 
Back
Top