880ScottyScott
Bit poster
Has anyone else looked into standardized battery reporting for ARM64 guests running on Apple Silicon?
Currently, battery information in Parallels appears to depend on Parallels’ own virtual battery implementation and Parallels Tools rather than a standardized ARM/ACPI interface exposed by the VM.
I’ve been looking into whether an ARM64 VM could expose host battery state through a standard ACPI device/interface so Windows 11 ARM and Linux guests could recognize it without relying on hypervisor-specific guest integration.
I posted the more detailed technical proposal here:
I’m especially interested in whether anyone working with ARM64 virtualization, ACPI, QEMU, or Windows on ARM has experimented with something similar.
Currently, battery information in Parallels appears to depend on Parallels’ own virtual battery implementation and Parallels Tools rather than a standardized ARM/ACPI interface exposed by the VM.
I’ve been looking into whether an ARM64 VM could expose host battery state through a standard ACPI device/interface so Windows 11 ARM and Linux guests could recognize it without relying on hypervisor-specific guest integration.
I posted the more detailed technical proposal here:
Hello everyone, it would be great to standardize battery reporting across other virtualization software platforms.
For example, when running an ARM64 guest operating system on an Apple Silicon MacBook using virtualization, it’ll be great to have guest virtual machines receive host battery and power-status information through a standardized ARM-compatible ACPI interface, consistent with broader SBSA/ACPI efforts where applicable so that ARM64 guest operating systems recognize that they are running on a battery-powered laptop and make appropriate power-management decisions.
If possible...
For example, when running an ARM64 guest operating system on an Apple Silicon MacBook using virtualization, it’ll be great to have guest virtual machines receive host battery and power-status information through a standardized ARM-compatible ACPI interface, consistent with broader SBSA/ACPI efforts where applicable so that ARM64 guest operating systems recognize that they are running on a battery-powered laptop and make appropriate power-management decisions.
If possible...
- 880ScottyScott
- acpi apple silicon arm battery virtualization
- Replies: 0
- Forum: Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions
I’m especially interested in whether anyone working with ARM64 virtualization, ACPI, QEMU, or Windows on ARM has experimented with something similar.