[RESOLVED] How to install apps from App Store in macOS VM?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TOMO-ONE, Jul 15, 2023.

1. TOMO-ONE

TOMO-ONE Bit poster

I just test Parallels on my MacBook Pro M2. I installed MacOS VM and want to install some apps (iMovie etc.). How can I archive this? Registering my Apple ID is not possible (it's a known limitation).

MatthewR20 likes this.
  2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello!
    Sign-in to Apple ID in macOS virtual machine on Apple silicon Macs works in macOS 15 beta3 and newer virtual machines running on Mac computers with macOS 15 beta 3 and newer operating system.

3. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

If you can't get the AppleID logged in, then I don't think that is possible without simply downloading the correct installer manually, but that's not what you're asking to do.

4. TOMO-ONE

TOMO-ONE Bit poster

I don't know where to download iMovie, Photometer and other apps. AFAIK installation is only possible via AppStore.

BTW: It is a Parallels limitation not to be able to login with an Apple ID. See https://kb.parallels.com/128867 (no. 13).

A VM where I cannot install (standard) apps looks useless for me. :-(

5. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

I've had good luck installing the app on the Host system, and then dragging the app to the Guest system.

GreenVomit8 likes this.
  6. TOMO-ONE

TOMO-ONE Bit poster

I just try it with iMovie. Drag and drop was not possible - only via a shared folder. But iMovie dos not start - graphics is not supported. :rolleyes:

7. _Q_

_Q_ Bit poster

same problem here.
    I have just bought Parallels and installed Sonoma MAC OS as a guest OS. Using a Sonoma M2 MBP. App store in the guest OS isn't working; also, the apple id is not logging in. Error : "The action could not be completed" when trying to login with apple id.

Any ideas how to install apps in the guest OS with the apple store ? also how to sync my guest Mac OS with my apple id notes , contacts, etc ?

Thanks a lot!

8. GreenVomit8

GreenVomit8 Bit poster

I had similar success by copying the app from the host and pasting it into the guest's Application folder.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  9. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person

GreenVomit8 likes this.
  10. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello!
    Sign-in to Apple ID in macOS virtual machine on Apple silicon Macs works in macOS 15 beta3 and newer virtual machines running on Mac computers with macOS 15 beta 3 and newer operating system.