Enable "SCCM Applications" to be installed when no user logged on

dsmccrac

Member
I am still using the SCCM "Packages" deployment option in many cases because it allows for unattended installs which is very important in a few of our scenarios. However we also have scenarios where we want users to be able to install software, and therefor are using the Parallels Application Portal which requires the use of "Applications" as the deployment type.

So we are frequently needing to create both "Packages" and "Applications" for the same software to fullfil the different scenarios and this is a real pain. We would love to stop using Packages and just use Applications.

The kicker is that if you look at the image you will see that Applications allow for unattended installs on the PCs -- so the technology is built in to SCCM. Is there some way that Applications could have this fairly basic functionality that Packages have with Macs and that Applications have with PCs??

This is my main problem I am having with PMM, which otherwise I think is awesome!

Don Duff-McCracken
University of Waterloo
Packages vs Applications.jpg
 
Hi, actually this capability is already supported. The current product version has a problem with unattended deployment of apps and packages that require restart. This will fixed in the upcoming v7.1 (it will be released shortly after macOS 10.14 GM release).

If you have tried to deploy apps (with the unattended option enabled) and it didn't work, please open a support ticket so our support could investigate the issue.
 
Cool, it does work! The weird thing is that when I was first looking at this issue (early 2017)) I was told that a user should be logged on for an application to deploy. I was directed to a KB article (http://kb.parallels.com/en/123997) that affirmed this. From the KB article "If a user is not logged on or logs off before the end of the installation, the installation will fail ." Perhaps this was modified at some point?
 
Back
Top