macOS VM and network

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MatteoCorti, Jun 23, 2023.

1. MatteoCorti

MatteoCorti Junior Member

I installed a macOS VM on an apple silicon machine while having an ethernet connection.

If I disconnect the host ethernet adapter and use my WiFi connection, the VM has no network connection at all.

Since there are not settings (yet) in the Parallels GUI for macOS on Apple Silicon, any hint on how to solve the problem?

2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate the technical issue, kindly provide us with the following information:
    1. Kindly reproduce the issue, and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thanks.

3. MatteoCorti

MatteoCorti Junior Member

Dear Trishna
    Thansks. This morning seems that everything is working again. If the issue comes up again I'll post the report.
    Matteo

4. durchsicht

durchsicht Bit poster

hello,
    im having trouble connecting the vm to wifi, win11 install is still running but 'next' button is gray'd out
    can you help?
    luke

Attached Files:

5. NidhiT

NidhiT Bit poster

how to connect with the wifi in virtual machine

6. AbrahamA1

AbrahamA1 Bit poster

I have the same issue.
    It worked with 14.0.
    I have installed it over 20 times and I am using Paralllells build of Mac OS Sonoma on latest Parallells 19 version.

7. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello,
    Thanks for bringing it up!
    Kindly try performing the steps below and share if it works for you:
    1. Open Terminal.
    2. Execute the command below (once done, it'll ask you for the Ma administrator password; please enter it and hit Enter to execute the command):
    sudo nano /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml
    3. Locate the following string:
    <SystemFlags></SystemFlags>
    and paste the devices.net.use_naptd_for_macvm=0 value to make it look like this:
    <SystemFlags>devices.net.use_naptd_for_macvm=0</SystemFlags>
    Note: use arrow buttons on your keyboard to navigate.
    4. Press Control and O buttons on the keyboard to save the changes and then hit Enter.
    5. Press Command and Q shortcut to quit the Terminal.
    Check if the issue remains. If it does, kindly reproduce the issue, and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.

AbrahamA1 likes this.
  8. AbrahamA1

AbrahamA1 Bit poster

Hi Mikhail,

What is the reason for this issue?
    It seems like a bug in latest version of Parallells or the image of Mac OS 14.x to me... I install Windows 11 ARM and it's fine.
    Every issue is with Mac OS 14.x.

Would appreciate a fast reply!

9. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi Abraham,
    The reason I'm offering this is to make sure the workaround works for the issue in our naptd service responsible for the shared network (we know the issue occurs with macOS 14.x VMs only). We're trying to address the issue and your feedback would be of much help for us :)

AbrahamA1 likes this.
  10. AbrahamA1

AbrahamA1 Bit poster

I am testing it now.
    I will reply here very soon.
    Stay tuned

11. AbrahamA1

AbrahamA1 Bit poster

Hi again Mikhail,

That change in the "/Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml" did well.
    I have a functioning Ethernet connection now.
    May I please have a free upgrade to the Pro version now :)
    I was very helpful to you guys. I lost maybe 20 hours of work because of this.

PS: Please send out an update to Parallells users asap. This was extremely frustrating and all these tests/installations degraded my expensive internal SSD.

12. AbrahamA1

AbrahamA1 Bit poster

That change in the "/Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml" did well.
    I have a functioning Ethernet connection now.
    May I please have a free upgrade to the Pro version now :)
    I was very helpful to you guys. I lost maybe 20 hours of work because of this.

PS: Please send out an update to Parallells users asap. This was extremely frustrating and all these tests/installations degraded my expensive internal SSD.

13. AbrahamA1

AbrahamA1 Bit poster

Are you going to release it soon?
    I have several ppl in the company who needs a permanent fix asap.

14. AbrahamA1

AbrahamA1 Bit poster

Mikhail?