Cannot start any new macOS Guest after running and shutting down 2 instances (macOS 13.3, M1 Max)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ChrisB56, Mar 28, 2023.

1. ChrisB56

ChrisB56 Bit poster

I'm aware there is a limit of running 2 macOS guests simultaneously but since updating to 13.3 it looks like the count is not reset even after shutting down all the VMs. It will still produce the message below not letting me run any macOS guests until I reboot the host Mac.

To reproduce:
    1. Start any 2 macOS VMs
    2. Shut down all the VMs (also tried restarting Parallels)
    3. Try starting any macOS guest VM. It will fail with the message below.
    (Just to make it clear, I'm not looking to run more than 2 VMs at the same time, just to be able to swap between different machines.)

It looks like a bug so wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue?

Also, as a workaround, is there any way to reset the Virtualisation Framework so I don't have to reboot the machine every time?

Attached Files:

2. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    As a possible workaround, kindly try performing steps as per this video:
    Let us know if the issue has been resolved.
    If the issue persists, please collect an additional technical report (Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID as a reply.

3. EvgeniiB

EvgeniiB Bit poster

@Pramesh Boodadoo the problem can not be solved by reproducing steps from the video. On the video is a Mac with Intel CPU.

btw, I have the similar issue on my Macs (very often). No matter with Parallels or with UTM.

4. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello @EvgeniiB
    Kindly provide us with a technical report (Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID as a reply.
    Thanks!