prlctl exec highsierra guest and host

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by m__6, Aug 21, 2018.

1. m__6

m__6 Bit poster

Hi all,

would the command
    prlctl exec <vm_id | vm_name> <command>

allow me to remote control an app in the vm with highsierra as guest and host? I am still very disappointed that this seems to be a pro task and have the impression that vmware might be better there, unfortunately the integration into the system is much worse.

best regards
    Michael

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @m_6, by 'remote control the app in the vm' you mean controlling it using Terminal in VM?
    If yes, use prlctl enter {VM UUID} to enter VM's Terminal (Parallels Tools required). If your goal is different, please give me more details.

3. m__6

m__6 Bit poster

Hi Dmitry,

sorry for not being clear on this:

What I would like to do is that

links i click on the host (HighSierra)

open in a firefox within in the VM (also highsierra as guest system).

If I remember correctly for a windows guest this is possible to configure within the settings, for a macOS-guest-System this is not available.

So my questions are:

1. Is there an option to register an highsierra-guest-VM as a linkhandler, so that links from the macOS-host are opened within the macOS-guest? and if this is not offered

2. can I open a firefox (running in the macos guest VM) with a URL as a parameter from a macOS host, for example via prlctl exec or another command?

Thanks for your help
    Michael

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for the explanation, Michael.
    1. Currently it is not possible to share URLs between host and guest systems similarly to Windows. I have sent your concern as a feature request to Engineering team.
    2. prlctl exec itself does not control guest OS, it allows to control your virtual machine settings, devices etc. You can enter guest OS Terminal using prlctl enter and open Firefox with URL parameter if the browser supports such opening event, I'm not sure.