Shared Folders disconnecting after time

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by NeilR1, Jul 19, 2015.

1. NeilR1

NeilR1 Bit poster

Hi, hoping someone is able to help me with this:

I'm running a OS X Yosemite (10.10.4) guest OS using Parallels 10, which needs to periodically access (both read & write to) external HDDs that are connected to my host OS X by USB. The shared folders are set up under the "Sharing" configuration menu, with SmartMount "Map Mac volumes to virtual machine" checked.

The drives are mapped perfectly upon initial start-up / restart, as "Shared Folders", and I have finder set to show these on the desktop. However after a certain amount of time, the shared folders (not just the drives, but any other internal shared folders such as the home folder also) disconnect by themselves (with the Shared Folders icon disappearing from the desktop) and can no longer be accessed by the guest OS until I restart.

I have a feeling that this is something being done automatically by Yosemite when no data is sent/received to the shares after a certain amount of time, but I'm not sure. Has anyone come across this issue? And is there any way I can either a) prevent the shared folders from disconnecting, or b) re-map them once disconnected without restart (and so hopefully a script can be written to check if they've disconnected and re-map them if so?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi NeilR1,
    Please refer the knowledge base article http://kb.parallels.com/122726 to know about how to share host OS files with guest Mac OS X

3. NeilR1

NeilR1 Bit poster

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response - however the knowledge base article describes the exact set-up as I outlined in my original post (and the shared folders do appear as expected) - however the problem is not the initial set-up, but rather that the folders don't remain accessible forever, they disappear after a given amount of time and there appears to be no way for me to re-connect to them without a full restart of the guest OS. Are there any further suggestions you can offer?

Regards,

Neil

4. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Please try to customize shared folders as suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/120413 and check if that helps.