Where is my Windows Desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by CecilyM, Jan 8, 2012.

1. CecilyM

CecilyM Bit poster

I have a Mac, and have been using Parallels to use Windows XP for several months. Recently, I started Parallels to access Windows XP, and the system does indeed startup. However, the Windows Desktop does not appear on my screen. The Windows status bar shows up in the upper right corner of my screen, and from there, I am able to access the Start menu to access programs, but the Desktop itself does not appear anywhere on my screen.

(If this helps, when I first had Parallels, the Desktop did used to show up and I had no problems. Only after not using Parallels for a few months, I started it up again recently and now the Desktop is not showing up.)

Please help! I use Parallels for my graduate work!

Thank you very much.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You're running Parallels in Coherence mode, if you want to see the desktop, change to Window mode, (View>Enter window mode).

3. CecilyM

CecilyM Bit poster

THANK YOU so much!! Problem solved :)

4. SurfinSD

SurfinSD Bit poster

Same Problem... no Windows Desktop, but I'm not in Coherence

Hello...
    I am running Parallels 7 had a weird thing where I had Parallels open and went to open a Windows program, got an error message, then nothing on my Windows side would work. Re-Started Parallels, but no Windows Desktop is appearing. I see the background of the window, but now start button in bottom left, no icons for my Windows applications... nothing. Just the grey Parallels toolbar along the bottom.

Any ideas/help?

THANKS,
    Lea

5. SurfinSD

SurfinSD Bit poster

All fixed

Just-in-case anyone else has this problem...

Turns out my Parallels 7 had magically deleted my activation code. In searching for my activation code in old emails (I had upgraded from Parallels 6 via download and apparently never registered my v7), I came across an email informing me I was eligible for a free upgrade to Parallels 8.

Installed Parallels 8 and activated with the handy dandy code supplied in the email and all is well.

Only question is... how in the world did the activation code get deleted????
    Worked one day, gone the next.

Oh well. Hope this isn't happening to anyone else.