Upgraded to Yosemite before Parallels 10

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Brandie, May 2, 2015.

1. Brandie

Brandie Bit poster

I was still running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and recently upgraded to Yosemite after backing up. I had Parallels 5.0 and was running Windows 7 on it but now it doesn't work. My question is, if I upgrade to Parallels 10 now while running Yosemite, will I get all my data that was on that partitioned drive? I had some scrapbooking software on it that only runs on Windows (hence, why I used Parallels). Or am I going to have to restore my back up (10.6.8), upgrade Parallels and then reinstall Yosemite? And will my Windows 7 run on Parallels 10? I have a MacBook Pro 5,3 (mid 2009) 2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 duo, 4 gb memory. Thanks!

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Brandie,
    Here is the system requirements to install Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac: http://kb.parallels.com/122662
    Upgrading Parallels Desktop will not affect your Virtual Machine, only you need to take a back of the Virtual Machine and then update the Mac OS X to Yosemite.
    After updating the Mac OS X you can go ahead and install Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac.
    Note: Parallels Desktop 5 cannot be upgraded to Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac, only Parallels Desktop 8 and 9 user are eligible to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac.

Last edited: May 8, 2015