Time Machine Backups

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PhilipJ, Dec 29, 2010.

1. PhilipJ

PhilipJ Bit poster

I am running Parallels 6 and Windows 7 on OSX 10.6
    I use Quicken for Windows 2011 and thought I was backing it up.
    I have not excluded Parallels in Time Machine or P6 preferences.
    I expected to find backups in home directory>documents>parallels
    There is a Windows 7 file there but I cannot open it.
    Any ideas?

2. Ken58

Ken58 Bit poster

data back-up location

I run MS Money via Parallels 5 on OSX. I store my Data files in the Mac Documents folder not in the Windows Documents folder and they get backed-up OK. Try setting Quicken to store your data files in a different location.

3. PhilipJ

PhilipJ Bit poster

Thank You

Voila, thank you, that seems to work. I'll know for sure if it keeps backing up.
    Out of interest, with/P5 don't you have the problem of the Time Machine backing up the entire Virtual Machine instead of just the small file? Maybe you don't use Time Machine?

4. Ken58

Ken58 Bit poster

Glad that helped but your query got me thinking whether my Time Machine (yes I use it) was backing up the VM or any of its programs data other than MS Money. It appears and I'll need to confirm this, that I'm not backing up the data from my other Windows XP program. I do have a 10.42Gb backup for Parallels, stored in the Mac Documents folder, named Windows XP.pvm but I dont know what's in it. I think I need to search for my other data. By the way, do you have a problem with your Internal HD or Time Machine HD not going to sleep/powering down after a period of inactivity? According to Apple Support, iMac HD should power down after 10 minutes of inactivity unless something is using the drive. I appears that Parallels is using my drive whether it's running or not and preventing this powering down cycle. What's you take on this?

5. PhilipJ

PhilipJ Bit poster

Time Machine

I don't have the problem you are describing.
    I, also, have a VM backup but I can't open it.
    Your solution will work for my Quicken program but I don't know the answer to backing up all the Windows programs.