Parallels with Windows 7 and Adobe CS3 (Illustrator) & QuarkXpress

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by HeathB, Jul 2, 2010.

1. HeathB

HeathB Bit poster

Hello :)

I just recently purchased Parallels for Mac for my new Macbook, which has Snow Leopard 10.6.4, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 2.66ghz.

I installed Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and put Windows 7 64-bit on it so I could use my Adobe CS3 software for PC.

My Macbook has QuarkXpress 6.5 installed which I recently cross-graded to Mac since it didn't work well with PC for me.

For some strange reason, when I open an EPS file OR make a new file and save as EPS in Illustrator CS3 through Parallels/Win7, and save it with any kind of preview (TIFF 8-bit Color or B/W), I can't import it into QuarkXpress. It says Unexpected end-of-file encountered. [-39]. If I don't save it with a preview, it imports into Quark fine.

I can export it to another format, such as JPG, and it works fine with Quark. I tested with Photoshop, and the EPS or any other format works fine. This just seems to affect saving previews with Illustrator CS3.

I tested also on my main PC with Windows 7 64-bit, using Illustrator CS3, saving my files with the preview setting on, and they import to Quark fine.

So I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with these products?

Thank you!

2. HeathB

HeathB Bit poster

I did further testing and at first it wasn't saving properly on the Network drive (NAS box).

I saved the affected file (with preview) on the Parallels Windows 7 'Local Disk' and was able to open the folder (Windows Explorer) and drag and drop it onto the mac desktop and then it imported to Quark without the unexpected error.

I re-saved onto the NAS box after that and it started working. So I guess saving anything from Illustrator (with a preview) onto the Mac portion seems to cause a problem.

Would this be because of the way Macs saves files versus PC?