Parallels Tools fails to install under Linux Mint 22 Cinnamon

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RobertC58, Aug 4, 2024.

1. RobertC58

RobertC58 Bit poster

I have tried several times to install Parallels Tools on a Linux Mint 22 Cinnamon virtual machine on my Mac mini 2012 running Catalina. I previously created a Windows 11 virtual machine, which installed Parallels Tools correctly, so this problem only occurs under Linux Mint 22 for me.

I tried both the GUI method and the terminal method as specified in the parallels support knowledge based document:

How to install Parallels Tools in Linux virtual machine
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/129740

Both failed with, " An error has occurred while installing Parallels Tools", with instructions to "Restart the virtual machine and try again. If the problem persists, see /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information."

The error in the above log file reads:

F /PTIAgent:1865:797/ modprobe: FATAL: Module prl_tg not found in directory /lib/modules/6.8.0-39-generic

This error line repeats four more times, followed by:

...F /PTIAgent:1865:797/

and:

...W /PTIAgent:1865:797/ [PITA_Guest] Tools installation failed

and:

... W /PTIAgent:1865:797/ [PITA_Guest] Installation result = 4

(End of log file)

I searched a bit on the web and found others with similar problems with Parallels Tools on Linux, but I found no apparent solution other than references to the above Knowledge Base document.

Parallels Support: is the installation of Parallels Tools on Linux 22 Cinnamon a known problem with the current version of Parallels Desktop 18.3.2? Is there a workaround, or must I wait for an update/fix to successfully install Parallels Tools?

Rob Johnson

2. MarcelV10

MarcelV10 Bit poster

Parallels Support:

Any updates on this?!

ANYTHING AT ALL?

3. RobertC58

RobertC58 Bit poster

I never found a solution for Mint 22 -- I ended up making a new virtual machine with Mint 2.1.3. That worked fine, no problem with Parallels Tools.