Parallels Support regarding GPU accel. in OS X Lion as guest

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Specimen, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

So, I decided to create a support ticket with Parallels for a feature request (as suggested by Yanayana), in this case, having 3D Acceleration on OS X Lion guest. Here's their laughable reply:

"Thank you for contacting Parallels Technical Support.

I understand you are facing issue with the GPU.

1. May I know from when you facing this issue ?

2. May I know the Memory assigned to Virtual Machine ?
    To Check the Memory Assigned to Virtual Machine : Click on the Virtual Machine on top menu bar -> Configure -> General -> Memory,

3. May I know the No of CPU assigned to Virtual Machine ?
    To Check : Click on the Virtual Machine on top menu bar -> Configure -> General -> CPU.

Please follow the steps mentioned below in order to resolve the issue:

1. Please Click on the Virtual Machine on top menu bar -> Click on the Install/Reinstall Parallels Tools.

For more information refer the link below :

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v7/update2/docs/en/Parallels Desktop User's Guide/32792.htm

2. Click on the Virtual Machine on top menu bar -> Configure -> Hardware -> Video -> May I know is 3D acceleration is enabled and Vertical Synchronization is enabled ?

Please let us know if the troubleshooting steps provided helped resolve the issue.

Please let us know if the issue still persists and we would be happy to help you.

This ticket will would be placed on resolved status. Pedro, you could reply to this same email within 14 days and the ticket will be reopened automatically.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks,"

This support guy has absolutely no idea that there isn't 3D accel. in OSX guests. I give up.

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

can you please share the ticket ID ?

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yes, I know, that's why it's a feature request!

And that's also why I find it all hilarious, because I have a good sense of humor, or else I would be frustrated as hell.

Ticket ID:
    "[Parallels #1332880] Feature Request: Support for GPU acceleration in OS X Guests"

Anyway, the booting into safe mode is a good workaround solution, I have to remember that, until the feature gets implemented (I'm sure it will, someday).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. YanaYana

YanaYana

I hope so. But so far the root of the problem is Apple restriction.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Ok, I got a more helpful email now. :)

That's interesting, I didn't know Apple was somehow blocking this, I suppose they aren't exposing access to the required APIs.