OpenSolaris problems

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by Paul Floyd, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Paul Floyd

Paul Floyd Bit poster

Hi

I just upgraded from parallels 3 to 4, since I intend to upgrade from Mac OS X 1.5 to 10.6 soon. My parallels experience was already not fantastic - OpenSolaris 2009.06 with Parallels 3 wouldn't boot directly to the GUI, I had to launch X by hand, specifying 16bit graphics.

After the parallels upgrade, I double clicked on the OpenSolaris parallels icon, chose to upgrade (and not backup - I don't have anything important in the installation). Then I saw the grub menu. After a little bit, there were a series of vertical bars across the bottom of the screen, I heard a DVD access, and up came a "Fatal error" dialog to send a report to parallels (which I duly sent).

Update 2009-09-23
    I've managed to get the VM to boot - by editing the grub entries and removing the $ISADIR (thereby forcing a 32bit boot). It looks to me as though the 64bit kernel causes Parallels to crash.

Now I've gotten as far as a command line login, with errors saying basically that "Failed to plumb ni0". As a result, tons of services fail to start, so I don't even have my home directory. I've tried reinstalling the NIC drivers, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I've uploaded a screenshot with messages.

Paul

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. Paul Floyd

Paul Floyd Bit poster

I've made some progress. For some reason, I ended up with /dev/ni0 (linked to a non-existent PCI device) and ni1 (linked to something at least). I moved /etc/hostname.ni0 to /etc/hostname.ni1, and have managed to boot without errors to the command line (now have my home directory and network connection). Still no X11.

3. Paul Floyd

Paul Floyd Bit poster

And another quick reply. X11 now up and running - xorg.conf for parallels 3 had a PCI address of 0:2:0, and for parallels 4 that needed to be 1:0:0