Mojave Guest OS on new MacBook Pro 16"

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by tom3, Jan 7, 2020.

1. tom3

tom3 Junior Member

I've heard that you cannot run a Parallels VM with a guest OS of Mojave or older, on the new MBP with intel core i9. Has anyone heard this? Something about how Mojave just won't run on the new processor even if it's within a VM?

2. Vassilis

Vassilis Bit poster

I have a Macbook pro 16 and Mojave and Catalina run fine (...) as VMs with Parallels. If you haven't bought Parallels already check this https://forum.parallels.com/threads/does-parallels-support-their-software.348945/

My Macbook was burning batter in sleep mode (don't ask me why, probably something from Parallels was running in the background) so it ran out of batter at night.

In the morning my Mojave VM was corrupted and I lost all my fkg data and the setup I had on that VM. If you haven't bought Parallels run the other way. Go get VMWare Fusion or something else or whatever.

3. tom3

tom3 Junior Member

So runs fine except your Mojave VM was corrupted? Doesn't sound fine:)

4. Vassilis

Vassilis Bit poster

When it works, it works fine (with some annoyances that I didn't manage to sort out). But, to your point, you can run Mojave and Catalina VMs.

I'm now starting to examine how I can migrate my VMs to a different application, be it Virtualbox or VMWare Fusion or whatever. My stupid choice to go with Parallels costed me in time and personal billing hours a lot more than the actual cost of all those software combined x 30.

5. KenS8

KenS8 Bit poster

I have been a Fusion Pro user for many years. I frequently run Debian or Ubuntu 64-bit guests on a MacOS host. Sometimes I run just one VM at a time, other times I run a few. Everything has been pretty great for the past few years.

6. KenS8

KenS8 Bit poster

I currently have a 2020 MacBook Pro Core i9 with 32GB RAM, a 1TB SSD and Radeon Pro 560X.

7. ChrisE5

ChrisE5 Bit poster

I have a MacBook Pro 16" with macOS Catalina, and installed Mojave as a guest OS in Parallels 15.

The problem is that the graphics seem incredibly sluggish. I'm getting ~1 fps in Shadow Tactics: Blades of The Shogun menus. Is there a way that the guest OS can detect and use my graphics cards properly, or is it impossible since these Intel + AMD GPUs were never supported in Mojave in the first place?