Mac OS X Virtual Machine Standby Issue

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JoachimH, Apr 27, 2016.

1. JoachimH

JoachimH Member

Good day,

My virtual machine of OS X won't properly complete the standby process and go into standby mode. It stops around 95% and causes the Mac to become unresponsive. Usually forcing the VM, then PD to terminate won't help the Mac from responding. A hard shut off by pressing the shutdown button is required.

VM is on a USB 3.0 external harddrive. The other virtual machines on this harddrive do not have this same issue. The standby does occasionally work, at random times but mainly it freezes every time at 95%.

The USB harddrive seems to be function well, transfer speeds are normal.

any ideas?
    Thank you for any and all replies.

2. JoachimH

JoachimH Member

I've contacted Parallels Support about this issue. The issue is linked to using a virtual Mac OS X machine on a USB 3.0 external hard drive, there are known issues with going to sleep using this scenario, according to Parallels Support.

Cause & Solution: The issue is related to the VM Mac OS X system being on an NTFS formatted partition. The .pvm file, although having read / write access using an NTFS driver, does not work on the NTFS partition.

After formatting the drive to exFat, I have no issues putting my Mac OS X VM into standby.
    Perhaps this solution can help someone too.

Background: I have had no issues with VMs being on an external HD with Mac using Parallels Desktop with an NTFS drive and putting them into stand-by but the Mac OS X VM file here does not work with this configuration.

Last edited: May 11, 2016