Mac OS X Lion Guest OS problems

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JimSafety, Jun 10, 2012.

1. JimSafety

JimSafety Bit poster

I'm looking at switching to Parallels 7.x from VMWare 4.x because when using Mac OS X Lion as a guest OS under VMWAre, I've been having some nasty problems with VMWare crashing and locking up (and having to reboot since force quitting doesn't seem to actually force the virtual machine to stop).

Unfortunately, it looks like Parallels 7 has two huge bugs that have not been fixed since the September release (at least according to the posts on this forum):

1) No copy and paste between the host Mac OS X Lion and the guest Mac OS X Lion.

2) The Shared Folders seems really buggy to transfer files back and forth between the guest and host. Most of the time I'll copy files from guest to host and it'll show the files as they are copying (on the host and guest), but as soon as it finishes copying, the files disappear (again from both the guest and host). And on top of that, occasionally the Share Folders window will stop listing the shared folders and only a restart of the guest OS will help restore them.

I've tried all kinds of different settings in the Shared Folders area, but nothing seems to help.

Since I'm still using a trial, I can't submit a ticket to tech support regarding this (Parallel's support mechanism seems a bit over-complicated to me), but it doesn't sound like Parallels is acknowledging the problem or working on a fix.

Anyone heard anything from them or can I assume Parallels doesn't intend to fix these problems? At least with VMWare I can probably get them to troubleshoot the hang problems I'm having, but I wanted to see if Parallels would be a quicker fix.

2. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

I am myself checking this forum with a similar question for a Snow Leopard guest...
    The only thing I can tell you is, with Snow Leo the behavior of Virtualbox is similar (i. e., no clipboard transfert). Folder sharing does work well anyhow.
    My hope coming here is that Parallels handles this better (I happen to have a long experience with very good integration on previous Parallels versions), but I have no convincing reply for now...
    Indeed it is not a matter of "correcting something", but one has to develop specific, dedicated extensions, for each machine. Whether Parallels will do it or no is another issue...

3. MadMac89

MadMac89 Bit poster

I can confirm this is indeed an issue - since I'm having the exact same problem as described. Add to my list of problems - a corrupted directory. I found the corrupted directory after two long days of trying to isolate the most bizarre filesystem problems - when I renamed a directory on the host side - only to watch it reappear. Neither the renamed directory or the old directory was accessible due to permissions problems. It took a sudo rm -r on both to fix it - and I still don't trust the file system.

From my perspective this makes the filesystem problems "non-deterministic", and therefore Parallels cannot guest OSx. Fusion did not work either, because it appears that Fusion does not support an OSx Guest on the new retina display MBP15.