Issue shared folder with parallels 8 18101 and macosx 10.8.2 as host and guest

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by pAsimov, Sep 27, 2012.

1. pAsimov

pAsimov Bit poster

Hello,

I'm unable to share folder between host and guest when both of them are Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Parallels 8 build 18101. Anyone with the same issue ? Thanks for your help.

2. BernardK

BernardK Member

Same problem. I have installed OS X Mountain Lion with the same sharing settings in both Parallels Desktop 8 (same build) and VMware Fusion 5. Neither product shows the shared folders in Finder. In the left bar of Folder, under Shared title, there is the name of the base machine. A click in PD8 displays Connection failed after a while, in Fusion it displays my public folder and Music.
    But in Fusion, at least it displays a "VMware Shared Folders" icon on the desktop, which points well to the host folder, as defined in the Sharing setting of the VM.

3. BernardK

BernardK Member

I have found :
    1) open the Finder, menu Finder -> Preferences, tab General, under "Show these items on the desktop" check Connected servers
    2) open the configuration settings of the virtual machine (the cogwheel bottom right) -> Option -> Sharing. Click on the Custom folders button, +, and select a folder from the host. You should see a Shared folders icon on the desktop. Open it and you have a Folder window giving access to that host's folder.

4. BuddyS

BuddyS Bit poster

Hi Bernard,

you're right with your explanation. But the problem is, that it doesn't work.

I always get an error message. Also tried it with Fusion 5 - same problem. Mapping a network drive doesn't work. Don't know if Apple changed something fundamental inside 10.8.2 - but it doesn't work.