Help !!! Parallels doesn't start again

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Prof.D, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Prof.D

Prof.D Bit poster

I do hope to get help: I use parallels 10 with windows 7 64bit on a IMAC. It worked for 1 year without any problem. And this morning I received the hint: sound 0 doesn't work , couldn't be connected and so on. I tried to "repair" it on the parallels platform and wanted to close parallels down. But it took so long that I didn't know what to do. I made obviously a big mistake: I closed parallels down with cmd+alt+esc... And now windows doesn't start anymore with the hint:
    no boot device is available, press Enter to continue.... Cant anybody help me to repair the crashed windows 7 ???
    Any help is appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Albert FullSizeRender.jpg

2. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

Hello Prof.D
    Please follow steps suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/5223 to repair corrupted Windows virtual machine and let us know if it worked.

3. StacyF

StacyF Bit poster

To Repair Windows 7 (Superdrive not recognized during repair under boot options): If you can manage to copy the disk as an .iso to the desktop, this will prevent using the non-recognized CD/DVD drive. So rather than the repair suggestion 5223, which requires the CD/DVD drive to work, I saved the Windows 7 .iso file to my mac desktop. I have had the .iso backup for years as an emergency, but think that I used some powerISO type software to do that. Then, in the parallels configuration window (Control Center--> Settings Button--> Hardware-->under CD/DVD 1-->Click on 'Source'. Then under 'Source', click 'Choose and Image File'. See the two images attached. You can navigate to and select the .iso file that is on the desktop. Then in the Boot Order (Control Center--> Settings Button--> Hardware-->Boot Order , move CD/DVD to the top. For me, the restart of parallels and repair window of Windows finally found .iso to make a repair. Once the repair was complete, the USB Superdrive was useable in Parallels within Windows (still not sure why its not available during the repair of windows.) Hope it saves someone else a bit of time.

Attached Files:

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Thank you @StacyF for the detailed solution. We are proud of you! Thanks!