[email protected] - How to open Windows .jpg in MacOS Photoshop app

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Deac_Lancaster, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Deac_Lancaster

Deac_Lancaster Member

I want to use Windows 7 "Open With" in Windows Explorer to open a .jpg file in Photoshop on the Mac.
    I found that I can make Photoshop the default app in MacOS, then in Windows Explorer click on "Open on Mac". But I want to be able to use Photoshop one time and Illustrator the next without changing the Mac default.
    How can I find a .exe from Windows that actually opens the mac Photoshop.app?

Attached Files:

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Deac,
    You can not find the .exe for the Mac Photoshop app on the Windows side, however you can only right click on the file and select 'open with' and view the list of programs.
    It is also not possible to simultaneously open the file with two different programs without changing the default but again you can right click and use open with options.
    You can access Mac OS X applications from within Windows and you can access Windows programs from Mac OS X. For example, if you locate a file using the Open menu in a Windows program and decide you would rather open the file using a Mac OS X application, you can. Shared Applications Tool enables you to specify default applications for certain types of files, so that you can open some types of files in Windows applications by default, and others - in Mac OS.

3. Deac_Lancaster

Deac_Lancaster Member

Sylvester,
    Thanks very much for your response. I looked up "Shared Applications Tool" and found the feature I've been using which is:
    Configure > Options > Applications, and check "Share Mac applications with Windows".
    That previously did what I want but now seems to have broken for me. When checked I could previously open Windows Explorer to
    C:\Users\deacimac1\AppData\Roaming\Parallels\Shared Applications
    and see my Mac apps listed with an ".exe" extension. This list also appeared in Windows Explorer context menu "Open With" menu (as you indicated above) and would open the Windows file in the Mac program. THAT'S WHAT I WANT AGAIN.

I could also double click, for example,
    C:\Users\deacimac1\AppData\Roaming\Parallels\Shared Applications\Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Mac).exe
    and it would open my Mac Photoshop program from within Windows.

This is what I want but it no longer works. The VM's which still have this folder containing the Mac app do not now open the Mac app when I use Open With on the Windows file.

Can you help me regain this functionality?
    (BTW, on one VM containing the Mac app list, I shut the VM down and opened its Configure window to uncheck the "Share Mac apps....". I started the VM and the Parallels folder was empty as expected. I shut it down again, checked "Open Mac apps..." and restarted. Now it has the
    Parallels\Shared Applications
    folder but the folder is empty. And the "Open With" menu has no Mac apps listed.)

What I really need in the Windows filesystem is the connector file as before which was named:
    Adobe Photoshop CS3 (Mac).exe
    I recently upgraded to Parallels 11 and currently have 11.1.2 which it says is the latest.

Thank you very much for your help. I hope you can help me fix my Open With menu. ;-)
    -deac

4. Deac_Lancaster

Deac_Lancaster Member

Here are some screen shots showing what I'm now seeing.
    -deac
    BEFORE-OpenWith.png BEFORE-MacApps.png BEFORE-OpenWith.png BEFORE-MacApps.png BEFORE-OpenWith.png BEFORE-MacApps.png AFTER-MacApps.png AFTER-MacApps.png AFTER-OpenWith.png BEFORE-OpenWith.png BEFORE-MacApps.png AFTER-OpenWith.png AFTER-MacApps.png

5. Deac_Lancaster

Deac_Lancaster Member

Sylvester,
    I am still unable to get "Share Mac apps with Windows" to work correctly on my iMac though it does still work correctly on my MacBookAir using the same latest version of Parallels on both machines.

Today I uninstalled Parallels on the iMac, and reinstalled it. Again disabled "Share Mac apps" and re-enabled it to no avail.

Today I also copied a vm that works correctly on the MBA to the iMac and the OpenWith menu does contain the MBA Mac apps (and opens the ones that are also on the iMac), but OpenWith does not contain the Mac apps that are only on the iMac. In an attempt to refresh the Mac app list to include the iMac apps, I disabled "Share Mac apps ...", rebooted the vm, enabled "Share Mac apps ...", and rebooted the vm, but now there are NO Mac apps at all in the OpenWith menu. Also, the Shared Applications folder is now empty,
    C:\Users\deacimac1\AppData\Roaming\Parallels\Shared Applications
    whereas it did contain the Mac app connector files before I disabled Sharing.

Parallels on the MBA works correctly but does not work on the iMac. What do you advise?

thanks,
    -deac