Can't print from Mac when Parallels is open

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Marc Barnett, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Marc Barnett

Marc Barnett Bit poster

If I have Parallels 4.0 open (Windows XP), I can print from Windows, but I can't print from Mac (Snow Leopard).
    If I close Parallels, my Mac print jobs waiting in the queue do print. I used to be able to switch back and for and print from both sides with Parallels 3.0 Any suggestions for fixing this?

Thanks

2. MichelleS

MichelleS Bit poster

Same issues

Hi I currently am having the same issue. When Parallels is open I can't print from my mac. I have to close and shut down Parallels to print out of my mac.

3. MichelleS

MichelleS Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

4. Marc Barnett

Marc Barnett Bit poster

Hi, sorry I don't think I can be much help. After not figuring out how to fix printing from the Mac when Parallels was open (I used to be able to) I tackled another issue. I was getting "upgrade" messages to upgrade my version of Parallels from ver 3810 to ver 3848. When I attempted to run the upgrade, nothing really happened. I researched this on the forums and found a way to do it. It required that I create a new Virtual Machine, and when I did that it wiped out my old Virtual Machines. So then I tried to reinstall my printer (an older Brother multi-function printer which worked fine before). Now I can't install that! I attempted to from a download of the print driver, and after going thru the install my printer wasn't recognized. I tried to install from the original Brother CD, and I couldn't do an install from that either.

5. Marc Barnett

Marc Barnett Bit poster

Hi, better news today. After trying many ways to install my Brother printer, including Bonjour (which I couldn't get to work), I tried "Sharing A Mac Printer" from page 135 of Parallels Desktop Users Guide. This has you install a HP Laserjet or Apple Color LW as generic printer. Didn't seem likely but this seems to work. I can print from Windows with it, and I can switch back to my Mac and print also. Seems ok so far.

6. Marc Barnett

Marc Barnett Bit poster

Got my printer working today by following instructions on P. 135 of the Parallels User Guide. Installed the HP Color Laserjet 8500 ps as a generic prinnter, and my Brother printer now prints from both Windows and the Mac.

7. Jay Newirth

Jay Newirth Bit poster

Seems like a lot of people are having this problem. What goes?