Access virtual OS X via VNC (private or business service)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by tedescomicchi, Sep 17, 2013.

1. tedescomicchi

tedescomicchi Bit poster

Hi

Are there any implications when I set up a virtual OS X with Parallels Desktop on my Mac Mini Server and then access (remote control) it from remote via VNC?
    My final idea is to have access to "my Mac" from everywhere. The virtualisation helps me fast clone whole environments with snapshots.
    I don't need then anymore a Macbook Pro to carry with me, but I need only to be online to connect with my virtual OS X on my Mac Mini Server.

Further is it legal to provide such a service as a business?
    If I would have the appropriate license agreement for the OS X system, am I allowed from Parallels to rent virtual OS X machines?

Thank you and bye
    Michele

2. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Don't use shared networking and it will get a real IP address from your router. Once at is done turn on screen sharing and pick a different port the 5900. Then setup your VNC client to connect to that IP address and port number.

3. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Virtual machines use a lot of resources. You would not be able to run more than a handful of VM's at the same time on a single host.

The OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 License Agreement says you can run up to 2 virtual machines with a single license of the OS for personal non-commercial use.

4. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Once you go into a business model wih VM, things change a lot. Most OS require purchase for every VM you make. Resources will be a major problem on a Mac mini, due to the limits of RAM. On my Mac Pro I have 18gb of RAM, so if I wanted to run 4 VM each with 2 processors and 4g RAM each I could. The most I have ever run at one time though is 2, Linux and windows at the same time.