Windows 7 slows down under Lion

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RMR_fix, Aug 27, 2012.

1. RMR_fix

RMR_fix Bit poster

In our office we run 2 iMacs (both 16 GB RAM and 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB graphics). One iMac is still running on SnowLeopard and has Parallels 6 installed with Windows 7 VM.
    The other iMac is brand-new and came with Lion 10.7.4, this one has Parallels 7 and Windows 7 as well.
    Settings in the Parallels Preferences etc. are all the same.
    On both systems we use SolidWorks 2012 running in Windows. Everybody knows that this is a demanding software regarding graphic card. The Windows PC that we used before was a quite expensive custom made thing with high-end graphic card. The iMac 10.6.8 (SnowLeopard)and with Parallels 6 does not show any difference in performance compared with the "real" PC. Very different the new iMac under Lion. The performance is very low, SolidWorks can't be used really good. Is it possible that Parallels 7 running on a Lion Mac has less power than a Parallels 6 running on Snow Leopard?
    We are planning to go back to SnowLeopard with the new Mac - but before we try this thread as a last option.
    Thanks for any comment which may help.

2. pjdm

pjdm Bit poster

We have two MBP that ran Parallel 4 and 10.6.8 fine. Then we went to Lion which forced the Parallels upgrade and now both machines are basically half available on the windows side and it has killed the mac side using parallels as well. The combo has made both machines largely unusable. I hope a fix is available.

3. RMR_fix

RMR_fix Bit poster

Seems that Lion was a bad choice

Thanks for your message, pjdm. Best will be probably to install SnowLeopard on all these machines. Just today I got a message about a new update for Parallels 7 - maybe you should try this first. What do you mean when you write "it has killed the Mac side as well"?

4. pjdm

pjdm Bit poster

i researched another thread, downloaded the latest update yesterday. I also removed two scanner on the mac side (Mackeeper and clamav) and all in total, things have improved quite a bit. I meant that the MAC side slowed down considerably with the spinning wheel taking over most of the time. My macs are older 4GB memory maximum so added RAM is not an option. Prior to P7 and Lion things worked quite acceptably.