Which < 10.7 Guests Possible in Parallels 7 & 8

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Timoti, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Timoti

Timoti Bit poster

i need to host a version of 10.6, or 10.5, or even 10.4 to be able to run ppc software (freehand - so shortsightedly dumped by Adobe).

Please someone confirm which desktop or server editions of OS X can be hosted under Mountain Lion or Lion in parallels 6 or 7

I gather there are some vexations licensing issues with the desktop versions, but that server versions should be OK - would that be right?

Also will parallels 7 work under Mt Lion?

2. SimonHobson

SimonHobson Junior Member

I believe 10.5 Server and 10.6 Server are supported. Desktop versions are not because of licensing.

Personally I'm at a loss to understand how anyone can interpret running these guests as not running them on Apple hardware (they take CPU cycles on the same damn processor) but that's the way it is. I couldn't possibly suggest you try searching to see if there is a simple hack that will make Parallels accept a 10.6 Desktop as looking like a 10.6 Server ;-)

EDIT: And yes, it runs under Mountain Lion - that's what I'm just coming to grips with now, and I'm running 10.6 as a guest for the same reason (to run an old PPC application).

3. Timoti

Timoti Bit poster

Aaah thanks Simon - much appreciated. And I will assiduously 'not' followup your non-hint. Particularly as freehand is known to be a bit squiffy on the server version. Thanks.