what's the difference between Parallels Server for Mac and Parallels Desktop for Mac

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by dkruz, Nov 26, 2008.

1. dkruz

dkruz Bit poster

Trying to determine how these two products (Parallels Server for Mac and Parallels Desktop for Mac version 4) differ. I've noticed the price is very different. But it seems you can run Mac OS X Server guest OS in either product. Why would one want to buy the more expensive product when they could do the same with less expansive product?

BTW, I tried to contact Parallels at their Seattle office by phone to ask this but could not get though.

2. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

The major difference is that Parallels Server for Mac has powerful networking module which allows you to manage virtual machine from a remote location. Also there is a special tool called Parallels Management Console which can be installed either Mac OS or Linux or Windows based computer and a user can access the virtual machine stored on Mac Xserve from , say, Windows XP Pro.

Parallels Desktop 4.0 has Parallels Server's origins this is why it has some features of Parallels Server for Mac which were not implemented in Parallels Desktop 3.0.

3. Sebastian Neumann (work)

Sebastian Neumann (work) Bit poster

Thank you for that answer. Even two years later though I (did not) have a hard time deciding which product to purchase. We are a small company and I only have the need to consolidate two aging windows server on an Xserve. It is a pitty that there is no inbetween solution, that maybe limits to 3 or 4 virtualisations running concurrently, but giving proper server management. It would have been worth let's say 200-300 euros.
    For my need though a €1000 solution is just too pricy. I can live with the desktop solution, it is a pitty though, both me and parallels could have had a win win situation.

And sorry for the dead tread resurrection.
    Best regards.