Warp4 stops at boot

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by Warp4ever, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Warp4ever

Warp4ever Bit poster

Everything worked OK in 3.0. In 4.0 everything stops just after the network driver loads. The display just sits there. I've waited for 20 minutes and there isn't any change. If I disable the network in the VM's configuration. I can get to the desktop. I'm using bridged default adapter. I am running a Mac Mini with Leopard.

This post was edited to add more details.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. Warp4ever

Warp4ever Bit poster

I am also trying to get tools working but the procedures mentioned do not seem to work.

We would really like to use 4.0 to get back some keyboard shortcuts we are use to using. There are about 25 workstations waiting to upgrade to 4.0 if Parallels or someone can tell me how to fix this.

Thanks

3. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Dear Warp4ever,

We have created a ticket for you in our system.
    You should check your mailbox and follow the confirmation link in
    order to proceed with fixing the issue.

Thank you for choosing Parallels.

4. massenmacher

massenmacher Bit poster

I have the same sort of issue. The OS will not start (gets stuck when it shifts to graphic mode) unless I disable NetDrive. Without NetDrive, I have no way of sharing files with the MAC.

5. liv2cod

liv2cod Member

Video driver may be the problem

I suggest you try installing the most recent version of the SNAP video driver from SciTech. It has worked wonders for my copies of OS/2 Warp 4.52 and eCS 1.2. (My version of eCS 2.0rc5 came with the driver and worked great from the get-go.)

The driver can be obtained (legally) from the web:

http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/scitech/snap/snap-os2-3.1.8.exe
    http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/scitech/snap/snap-os2-3.1.8.free-reg-code.txt

I put these into an ISO file for ease of installation into the VM. If the files are in a folder called "SNAP" on the Desktop of the Mac, you can make a file "snap.iso" with the following command line in OSX:

hdiutil makehybrid -o ~/Desktop/snap.iso ~/Desktop/SNAP -iso -joliet

Try this driver! The seamless mouse integration and video features are now working perfectly for me!

Joe Barnhart

6. Warp4ever

Warp4ever Bit poster

Joe
    I have those drivers installed. I got them as soon as SciTech made them free :). I tried the latest version (US-4.0.3810.237520.dmg) today but I still can't boot with networking enabled. Because Parallels can't use the network it is useless to me so I haven't even tried to get tools working.

Parallels has told me they found a defect but there isn't an ETA for a fix.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. massenmacher

massenmacher Bit poster

Thanks for the info. The new drivers did not fix the problem. However, on further poking, I've discovered that the problem lies with the Samba plugin for NetDrive. I guess I'll wait for a fix for Parallels and try it again.

8. Warp4ever

Warp4ever Bit poster

massenmacher

We are not using net drive here. Just the outdated OS/2 LAN requester.

9. mvcube

mvcube Member

Wouldn't it be a good idea for Parallels (or some third party) to create a Netdrive plugin that supports Parallels shared folders in a virtual machine? That shouldn't be too complicated.

I just tried and found out that I can't access my Mac home directory via the LAN client in eCS. Something broken with Parallels 4? Ping and net view are working fine. I can even map the drive but then, access does not work (SYS0240). :(

10. liv2cod

liv2cod Member

No Netdrive here

In my opinion it is far better to develop a solution with the standard tools that come with OS/2 and eCS. Relying on a third-party, extra-cost option is way down on the list of viable solutions. Not one person in our company has Netdrive, or has access to it. Let's find a solution with Lan Requester or the other tools within OS/2.

To that end, I have discovered I can use Mac Terminal and FTP to move data between the host and guest OS. You must enable the ftpd daemon in OS/2 (and set up the user name and password) first, then you can connect to it from OS-X. For some reason, the graphical FTP client built into Finder does not work with the OS/2 ftpd daemon. (sigh)

11. mvcube

mvcube Member

I'm not aware of a grphicla FTP client in Finder. Do I miss something here? Is it a Leopard only function?

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

13. mvcube

mvcube Member

I forgot about that. At least in Tiger this is a read only mount.

14. massenmacher

massenmacher Bit poster

That was my ultimate solution: using the FTP client. At least I can move data between the virtual machine and the Mac. It is a LOT slower than Samba, but at least it works.

15. DavidJ

DavidJ Bit poster

I have given up on a solution to this from Parallels.
    I imported my Parallels 3.0 HD into VMWare Fusion. Fusion will not run OS/2 on my mini either.
    I added the HD that VMWare created to the media in Virtualbox and selected it as my HD to boot from.
    Changed the OS/2 nic to the IntelPRO 1000. I got the driver from the OS/2 nicpak
    You'll need to make sure your using the up to date dani HD controller driver.
    It runs pretty stable and the guest additions work.

Good Luck

16. jwells

jwells Bit poster

Just an update. You can import a Parallels HD image directly into the new version of Virtualbox. You'll need to make sure it's the actual image. If you right click on it and have an option to show package contents than you have to copy the drive out of there and rename it. Then add it to the Virtual Media Manager and select it as the boot drive. This has only been tested with Parallels versions 3 and 4 HDD images.
    Good Luck