Warning Files being erased

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IanZ, Jun 16, 2015.

1. IanZ

IanZ Bit poster

Hi, This is my first post after using Parallels for years. This is a warning about what looks like a bug to me. If this is what is meant to happen in my opinion it must be changed. When using a Mac with Yosemite and Parallels with XP and "Share Mac user folder with Windows' set ON your desktop files on the Mac will show up in the XP desktop. This is what should happen. What should NOT happen is that when you shift a file from the XP desktop to the Recycle bin it erases the file IMMEDIATELY both on XP and Mac. I had a disaster with my main files being erased in this manner and have tried it a number of times since with other minor files with the same result.
    By turning off (in Configure / Options / Sharing) - "Share Mac user folder with Windows' the Recycle bin reverts to working as it should i.e. holds trash and doesn't delete it straight away.
    With it turned on as I stated earlier moving files in XP into the Recycle bin erases them from both the Mac and XP immediately This is a dreadful situation!!!! as I have unfortunately found out.
    If anyone is reading this at Parallels this needs to be fixed immediately please!!! I have been waiting for a support call for 2 hours but as I am in Australia time differences are probably the cause so I thought it best to notify people ASAP.

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Ian,
    Please try un-checking the option suggested below:
    Open Virtual Machine configure >> Options >> Sharing >> Open "Share Mac user folders with Windows" Configure >> un-check "Merge recycle Bin with Trash" then click ok and check how it goes.

3. IanZ

IanZ Bit poster

Thanks for your suggestion. Same problem though. The files get erased not deleted and available still in the Recycle bin. Even if this did fix it it would be a very bad default set up.