VM of macOS 10.13.6 can't see connected Ext drive

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by EdgemontF, Mar 27, 2023.

1. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

I've been using Parallels for years for Windows on my Mac and today was my first attempt to make a VM that could house my old High Sierra to try and keep some legacy software I still use (Quicken 2007).

I seemed to be successful in installing the High Sierra OS but it would not let me migrate from a Time Machine backup - because it could not see one - even though I had a TM backup on the hosting Mac, one of the external drive with the actual HS installation and one on the external drive connected to the new Parallels VM.

I ended up just installing the basic OS, but I still cannot get it to add any external drives even though they show in "Devices > USB. They are connected with a checkmark. Yet they will not show up on the VM Desktop (as set in Preferences) nor do they show up in the new VM's Disk Utility. Therefore I cannot drag or drop anything nor can I migrate anything as they don't appear anywhere. It doesn't matter if these are using the USB-C ports or the USB ports. I have updated Toolbox.

I normally use the USB 3.0 ports with no problem when running the Windows VM.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello there,
    Is it possible to send a technical report ? (Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID as a reply.
    Regards,

EdgemontF likes this.
  3. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

I will do that - thanks!