Virus Removal on Virtual Windows 7 OS

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Robusto, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Robusto

Robusto Bit poster

Please excuse my inexperience however I would really appreciate some help with this.

I have at work on our desktop mac installed Parallels with a Windows 7 OS in December 2012 (without installing an antivirus program). I use it for a ships accounting and navigation update system which only run on Windows.

Last week it came to my attention when our chart suppliers tried to remotely install a program that our 'computer' has a 'serious' virus. Obviously hindsight dictates I should have taken precautions however this is now the case.

What is the best way to remove this quickly?

As I have relatively small amounts of information on this system at the moment would I and would it work if I removed Windows virtual machine completely (if that's possible) and/or the Parallels installation as well prior to a complete re-installation?

Thanks in advance.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You can just remove the Virtual Machine (if it's not bootcamp based) from the virtual machine list and choose to send all files to trash when it asks, you can then empty the trash, and it's gone, so is the virus. You can then start over from a clean install.

There are of course ways to remove just the virus without deleting the whole Windows machine, but you would have to know exactly what virus is it and follow instructions from experts in the matter of virus removal in other more appropriate sites than this forum.

3. Robusto

Robusto Bit poster

Great, thanks for your response, I'll begin the Virtual Machine removal this evening.