Virtual Server Question

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by SWH, Jan 1, 2014.

1. SWH

SWH Bit poster

Hoping some server experts out there can guide me:

I'm configuring a *small* home network using Mavericks Server. My goal: serve all accounts from the iMac with networked home directories, allowing users to log in from any machine - *including the server* - and work.

However, this apple support note says in part "Avoid logging in to OS X Server (at the Login window) with a network user account whose home directory is hosted on the same server. If the issue has already occurred, restart the server."

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3090

I'm wondering if running a virtual server is a reasonable way around this. If so, would I:

- locate the networked users home directories on the virtual server (the note would seem to indicate this)
    - or could I locate them on the physical machine (while running server in the virtual).

The server's only duties are sharing the users, and one media account to stream content to my Roku using a product called Plex Media Server. The media account needn't actually be on the Mavericks virtual server.

My configuration:

iMac 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, running Mavericks Server and Parallels 8 (I can upgrade to 9)

MacBook Air 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.7.5

MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.7.5

MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6.8

I'll have a robust backup scheme in place, of course.

Thanks!

Sean