User & Groups settings - no icons.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TheodoreWLizard, Oct 6, 2013.

1. TheodoreWLizard

TheodoreWLizard Bit poster

I installed OS X Mountain Lion from recovery partition. When it starts up I get a chance to set the icon for myself. There is a default icon, but the grid of default, or available icons is blank. Later when I open system preferences, then Users & Groups and try to change the icon I'm again shown a blank grid. I can click in the grid and change the icon to whatever might be there so I suspect that this grid is just not being drawn.

This isn't a big issue, in fact by itself it isn't really an issue at all. I've installed Parallel's Tools and have run OS X updates which claim I am at the latest version. Since this little grid doesn't draw I wonder if I messed up something somewhere and there might be something else broken that I haven't come across yet.

I am running this VM on an iMac - I will test new software on the VM before I install it on the iMac itself. For example: I installed iTunes 11 on the VM and decided that I don't care for the new look - I like the old font used in iTunes 10 and can't see a way to go back to that font in iTunes 11. I will probably run a similar test for Mavericks when it comes out. This way I can find out what is changed and what apps break before I move forward with the new OS.

The reason for this question is that one of the first things I see when setting up the VM doesn't display - did I not configure something correctly, or is this a known issue and there might be a few other little cosmetic glitches that I will come across and can safely ignore them?