Upgrade to Par. 10 - but with a different iMac

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Eberhard_Hoffmann, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Eberhard_Hoffmann

Eberhard_Hoffmann Bit poster

Hi,

my old iMac runs Parallels 8 under Mavericks. I'm going to buy a new iMac (with Yosemite) and also want to shift my Parallels license, upgrading it to version 10, towards the new iMac. The old Mac will no more be used with VMs so Parallels will be removed there. I hope the license conditions do allow such a shifting of a license from one to another Mac?

Some months ago, Parallels support pointed to the fact that version 8 will not run unter Yosemite. So I don't know what to do with shifting the license & upgrading. I presume that an upgrade needs an installed previous version. Is it all right then to
    - first remove Parallels 8 on the old iMac (any de-registering necessary? if so - which one / how to?)
    - then install Parallels 8 on the new iMac (under Yosemite) though version 8 will not run under Yosemite
    - afterwards install the upgrade to version 10 there?

Thanks for helpful hints.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Just uninstall Parallels from the old mac, there is no way to deregister, however you are allowed to move the license 2 times, AFAIK, after that you'll have to ask support to reset it.
    You don't need to install PDM8 to use the upgrade license, you install PDM10 on the new Mac and insert the PDM8 key when it asks for it (after inserting the PDM10 upgrade key).

3. Eberhard_Hoffmann

Eberhard_Hoffmann Bit poster

@Specimen:
    Thanks a lot for your answer. This procedure (not to install Parallels 8 onto the new Mac) does make sense.