Unable to activate Windows 11 Pro

Discussion in 'Licensing and Activation' started by Tina_K, Sep 17, 2024.

1. Tina_K

Tina_K Bit poster

Hi.
    I recently changed my Macbook and I deleted all files about Parallels without backup at Old MacBook.
    Now I installed Parallels Desktop 18 for Mac Standard Edition and succeeded activation Parallels with entering the key at New MacBook.
    However I couldn't activate Windows 11 Pro because digital license is used before.
    I deleted all files at Old MacBook, so I can't copy files from old MacBook.
    So could you let me know how I can activate Windows?

2. MarioC10

MarioC10 Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. My MacBook needed to be repaired with a new motherboard and had to re-install parallel desktop with Windows 11 pro. I can't activate my digital key anymore, so I called Microsoft Support, and they told me that a digital key is removed as soon as the hardware is changed. I thought they were transferable, as long as they are used on only one computer.

Anyone knows if this is correct?!

3. JeffC27

JeffC27 Bit poster

Same issue moving from Win10 on an x86 Mac to Win11 on an M1 Mac.
    I made note of the serial number that Microsoft recorded for this VM -- the format is hexadecimal, <Parallels-00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00>. Needless to say, you can't use that to activate Windows in a browser, and the former VM isn't accessible anymore...

4. JeffC27

JeffC27 Bit poster

It now looks like Microsoft will *NOT* allow you to upgrade Windows 10 if you are moving Parallels Desktop from an Intel Mac to Apple Silicon.

Even though the computing environment is virtualized, MS seems to view the move as a non-upgradable installation on a different PC. It makes no difference to them that my original license (Windows 7) was a full retail copy not tied to any OEM hardware.

To activate Win11, MS wants you to buy a brand new digital license for $200 (not a great deal -- you can own a full retail copy for less than $150).

Unless your Intel-based Mac is qualified for Win11 in the eyes of Microsoft, you'll need to factor in the additional cost of a new license for Windows if you move away from Intel CPUs :(