Ubuntu running in Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Michael Ferris, May 26, 2010.

1. Michael Ferris

Michael Ferris Member

Can anyone tell me if Ubuntu can run in coherence while running in guest? Not according to the menu but I'm wondering if that is normal.

2. Arana

Arana Bit poster

I haven't ever seen that as an option in my installs. I just figured that it was a sacrifice I made for using an unsupported OS!

3. Michael Ferris

Michael Ferris Member

Yes, I have seen it either. I was hoping someone from Parallels would answer but obviously that is too much to expect.

As for unsupported.. Ubuntu 10.04 is supported by developers and users in their forum and they do a pretty good job at it too. I'm very impressed with 10.04 and it continues to improve.

4. Arana

Arana Bit poster

Cool, I use it in my classroom to run a Python development environment and a PHP MySQL development environment. It work well for me...

5. Michael Ferris

Michael Ferris Member

It's much better than the 9x was.

I'm a IT person myself.... using Parallels to run Win XP, Win 7 and Ubuntu on the same Mac for various reasons. I originally hated Parallels for poor suport but finally figured it out on my own and now I'm quite happy with it. Like I said I REALLY like the new Ubuntu.

So I just have to ask: where do you teach and what do you teach exactly?

6. Arana

Arana Bit poster

That's odd, because my experience of their support was exactly the opposite... who knows!

I teach Computer Science in the Boston Area. I haven't updated to the new Ubuntu yet it's much too of long a task to get all of the S/W built on the system. I guess I will have to do it before September though...

7. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

The Parallels Tools Overview in the Parallels Desktop Help shows that Coherence is only available for Windows. Dynamic Resolution Tool is available for Linux though. Linux supports Window, Full Screen, and Modality.

8. Michael Ferris

Michael Ferris Member

Yes, thanks, I'm now aware of this.. it took me a while to read all the info. and find out what was what.

All of this is for NOT now actually as over time I have replaced pretty much everything I used Windows for with Mac apps and I'm so happy I did.

Windows 7, while it looks nice is extremely slow. XP is still the best, no matter what all the Win 7 fanatics say.

UBUNTU is great. Small, compact, quick but I was just playing with it.

I love my Mac and never have had any problems with it.... so no more Windows for me. So Parallels is kinda useless now too.