Transporter: creating new VM from Windows Transporter file hangs, "Preparing to Transfer"

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by jdm1, May 13, 2022.

1. jdm1

jdm1 Bit poster

After trying for an hour and failing to get Transporter from Windows talking to Transporter/Importer on Mac, I gave up and transferred as a file, using Windows Transporter to write a .pvm, ~117GB and copied that file to my Mac desktop. However, trying to import this PVM into a new VM on Mac, the Installation Assistant is completely hung, at "Transferring your PC", "Preparing to transfer...". The progress bar has not even started. It has, however created a the 74GB PVM in my ~/Parallels folder, which is the size that it said it would be at the start.

Now what? This is a pretty important feature to me, as the org I'm working for is all Windows based, so slurping up their IT-approved Windows image is critical to using enterprise apps etc.

2. jdm1

jdm1 Bit poster

Found the problem - I had just installed the trial (waiting for purchasing to deliver my license) and wasn't logged in, apparently. Once I quit the process and logged in, started the trial, it's now merrily important.

THIS IS A NASTY USER TRAP!! All my wasted time could have easily been prevented, had the trial version prompt for login to start the trial on first launch, rather than *appearing* to be running normally, with things silently failing / hanging. Please fix - not for me, but the next person!