Transfer existing HD to Parallels 18 on a newer Mac

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TomV6, Nov 13, 2022.

1. TomV6

TomV6 Bit poster

I need to transfer some legacy software running on an old MacBook (2017) under 10.12.6 (Sierra) to a Parallels 18 installation on a newer (but still Intel) MacBook running 10.15 (Catalina)
    I can create an ISO of the Sierra install or I have a recovery disk from the old HD
    I probably don't need the entire legacy drive, just some of the software. Unfortunately, the original install .dmg/.pkg are generally not available at this point, so the process needs to be similar to CCC clone with select programs.
    Any suggestions appreciated

2. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, please refer to transferring an existing virtual machine to a new Mac. Thanks.

3. TomV6

TomV6 Bit poster

Thank you. Probably I wasn't clear.
    I have an old MacBook Pro. I want to transfer/clone part of that old MacBook into Parallels 18 on a refurbished MacBook Pro because I want to retain some legacy software, some of which is no longer available. There isn't space or need to transfer the entire old drive, just some of it - think Adobe CS, Office 11, etc. (I work in places without internet and can't use the subscription model because it cannot be confirmed that any subscriptions are up to date). I have installed 10.12 (Sierra) on the new Parallels and am now trying to figure out the best way to transfer only those legacy programs and their associated licenses into the virtual drive.
    Thank you for any suggestions

4. graphic

graphic Bit poster

I'm looking to do the same. My plan is to clone the old drive. Boot old computer from drive and edit that down to a slimmer version. Use that external clone with new system. Hopefully the transfer work with Quark-ie programs.

5. TomV6

TomV6 Bit poster

I have both a CCC6 bootable clone of the drive and a 10.12.6 Recovery Drive. Once I invoke the migration assistant the Shared Folders vanish and Parallels is unable to find them. I did configure them to mount automatically to the virtual drive to no avail. I haven't figured out how to boot Parallels into the bootable clone yet