snow leopard server client: tools integration?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Jeremy Bernstein, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Jeremy Bernstein

Jeremy Bernstein Member

I'm using P7 to host a Snow Leopard Server installation. I am not getting any integration features between my OSX host and my SLS client -- no shared clipboard, no drag in and out of the VM. Have I done something wrong? The Parallels Tools are installed. This is all with the most recent P7 release.

Thanks
    Jeremy

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Go to the Parallels Desktop help menu. Type "Parallels Tools Overview". It says that the "Clipboard Synchronization Tool" is not available for Mac OS X.

There's no technical reason for the tool not to exist for Mac OS X guests. If any app in Mac OS X can see the clipboard, then Parallels can create an app to do the same and pass the contents of the clipboard between the host and the guest. A third-party developer could create a clipboard server and client that does the task without help from Parallels.

You could connect to the guest using a VNC client that supports clipboard synchronization. You can use Apple's built in Screen Sharing to do that. Just enable Screen Sharing in the guest's Sharing preferences. Then connect to the guest from the host and use the Screen Sharing app's Get and Send Clipboard commands.

The "Drag-and-Drop Tool" is only supported for Windows. Again, there's no technical reason for the tool not to exist for Mac OS X. I'm not sure if a third-party developer would be able to create the tool for Parallels even with using something like a haxie.

It looks like Apple's Screen Sharing app supports drag and drop but I can't get it to transfer files successfully - it just keeps saying Pending. Dragging text clippings seems to work fine though.