snow leopard guest: "invalid mac os"

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Alan Trombla, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Alan Trombla

Alan Trombla Bit poster

Hi, I'm trying to install a snow leopard guest os, but either I'm doing something wrong or snow leopard is not supported as a guest os in my case for some reason.

I'm installing from dvd, on a macbook pro running 10.5.8, using paralells desktop v5.0.9220.

The initial creation of the vm goes fine (it auto-identifies the dvd as holding "mac os x server 10.6"), but when boot the vm to actually install the os, it reads the dvd and gives me this message:

Any ideas ?

Thanks!

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It is likely because Apple forbids install on Non-server version of Mac OS to virtual machine, and of course Parallels obeys to this.

You can only install Mac OS X Server version as a guest

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. Electonic

Electonic Bit poster

Wow. Instead of making a complete fool of yourself you could simply buy the version of Mac OS that grants you virtualization. Your current Mac OS license doesn't allow it. You didn't pay for that. You have no right to use it that way.
    What you demand of Parallels is basically assisting in theft. Of course they don't allow you to circumvent these restrictions. They would be in liable for that.
    Btw.: you don't pay for the data on the disc, that can be copied: you pay for the usage rights. Your usage rights don't include virtualization ...

Get over it and either pay Apple what they ask of you for virtualization or move on to something else, if you don't like what they offer. That is called free market.

5. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Well

I dont see why they would allow OSX Server to be virtualized but not the normal OSX. Look at the price difference, so you want people to pirate the server, since that what you people always seem to apply everyone does, and not the $50 normal OSX.

That makes no sense, since their competition supports the normal OSX. Legally creating a VM means you must have a license for that OS too, so why force people to get the Server one which is 1000x more expensive?

I really like Parallels but this issue is making wish I didn't purchase and got their competition instead. I can install whatever I want.

6. Electonic

Electonic Bit poster

What competition allows non-server versions to run as a VM? Really?
    The problem is that the license doesn't allow that. Again: you don't own the software. You just buy usage rights.
    I can't speak for Apple and I can only speculate about what drives them.
    One thing is that Snow Leopard can be had for 29€. Apple surely doesn't want to supply Windows users with a 29€ way to get to run Mac OS X on thei DOS computer ;)
    Apple already changed a lot by selling you the right to virtualize with the Server license, because this is the first time ever they allow that.

And it's not that bad of a deal: you get a full featured Mac OS with a great and unlimited(!) server.
    How much does Windows 7 Ultimate cost? Because that is the version you have to compare even the regular Mac OS with, because there are no the cut down version. So the 499€ are not that far away.

To round it up: Apple doesn't want you to buy a 29€ disc and let it run as a VM. And third party companies are just acting good and lawfull when they respect Apple's propery and don't help people to brake their software contracts and steal from Apple.
    It is their work and you don't have any right to disregard their wishes. All you can do is decide with your wallet and either buy or don't. Free market. Nobody forces you to buy into their offering.

If you need a Mac OS virtualisation for you business you won't have that much of a problem to pay what they want, because their unlimited server is a great, awesome deal all by it self.

But what I'd like to know is what you people need a Mac OS VM for that desperately?
    It can't be that important, or you'd all be running the server version any way, already, I guess ;)

And if you are a developer you should get a Mac anyway, right now. Best computers to do software on, right now.

7. cowhow

cowhow Bit poster

Assumptions are flawed

Electronic, you're making assumptions that those of us who need to install OS X in a virtual environment are somehow pirates attempting to circumvent licensing and cheat Apple out of money. This only betrays a lack of experience in an enterprise environment on your part. There are a myriad of reasons why it would be very beneficial to install Snow Leopard desktop in a VM. I need to do just that for testing on our network. I don't have a Mac test network and, based on the number of Macs we support, can't justify the expense of building one with physical machines.

By the way, ever ran Windows in a VM? Not only can you, but MS even puts their blessing on it.

Tony

8. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<