Sharing has converted Mac Desktop to Links to Windows

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by dbourne, Jun 1, 2022.

1. dbourne

dbourne Member

I'm running Parallels Desktop 17.1.2 on my Mac running Monterey. I have a Win11 guest VM. I'm guessing I've made a mistake setting up sharing between Mac and Windows. My local desktop folder now contains a folder MacDesktop with almost all my files now showing to be Parallels Link app Documents. They only seem to open in the Windows guest machine.
    1) How do I get my Mac files back to working with Mac apps
    2) What settings should I use to just share via one shared folder on the Mac?
    Thanks, db

2. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

3. dbourne

dbourne Member

Hi Nazeemabanu
    Thanks for your reply. I had received some earlier help from Parallels Tech support.
    It turns out that Parallels didn't turn my files into links as I thought. It created new link files for each of the existing Mac files and moved everything into a new folder, MacDesktop. I had so many files in my Desktop that they were towards the bottom of the file list. However, something strange did happened to permissions as I couldn't move/delete files with the Finder but had to use Terminal commands.
    I have the Sharing and Applications set as:
    These Sharing settings seem to do what I want. That is to only transfer files via one folder specified here in the Custom Folders... setting.
    WIN11_Sharing.png
    I have these settings for Applications which seems to mean I can open files in the Windows environment using Mac apps. This is OK but probably not necessary for my use. I'll keep it as is for now. WIN11_Applications.png
    Thanks for your suggestions, David

4. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello, You are welcome. Please reach us back for further assistance.