Shared folders with snow leopard server (guest OS)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TrungP, Dec 29, 2010.

1. TrungP

TrungP Bit poster

I installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard as guest OS on Parallels Desktop for Mac v6 (latest build) (My host OS is Mac OS X SL v10.6.5). After installing the Parallels tools, the sound is working, the screen can automatically resize to fit the parallels desktop window but I cannot cut/copy & paste, drag & drop, share files & folders between the guest OS and the host OS (even I configured to enables them from the Configuration panel).

Also, I tried to play avi files with VLC v1.1.5 but there is only sound, no video. My host OS can play avi files using the same VLC version.

So, I'm stuck and don't know what to do next.

Does anyone know how to solve these problems?

Thank you in advance.

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Copy and Paste is not supported for Mac OS X according to the Parallels Tools Overview documentation (check the documentation in the Help menu).

Shared Folders should work. Are you running the Guest OS as 32 bit or 64 bit? Does the Guest OS have MacFUSE installed?

3. TrungP

TrungP Bit poster

I found out that Copy-and-Paste, drag-and-drop are not supported, so sad. I tried to install Mac OS X SL 10.6 as 64 bit, MacFUSE was automatically installed by Parallels. Also, in the document, they don't mention how to find the shared folders when the guest OS is Mac OS server, so sad again :(

4. calum_h

calum_h Bit poster

shared folders

hey so i found this kbase article here
    http://kb.parallels.com/8619

it says it applies to parallels server, but it also applies to parallels desktop 6
    snow leopard client installs as 64 bit but mac fuse only runs as 32bit
    mac fuse is required for shared folders to work.
    if you follow the article and configure the VM to boot into 32bit mode then shared folders work.

hope that helps someone :)