Running Solaris 10 VM causes Mac Shutdown to hang..?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by cshamis, Oct 7, 2008.

1. cshamis

cshamis Bit poster

All:

When I push the power button, then select "reboot" on the OSX shutdown dialog the mac sends the signal to all the running apps to close... unfortunately Parallels takes a while to write out (suspend) the 1024 MB virtual machine. (I've got 4GB) In fact, it's apparently so long that OSX gives up and aborts the shutdown thinking that something in Parallels is not responding.

Eventually, parallels finishes on its own and the suspend is completed cleanly. That wouldn't be so bad, but somehow something gets hosed up in OSX, so that when I try again to shutdown my Mac the "reclaiming filespace" portion of File Vault hangs forever and the machine needs a hard power-off to reboot.

I'm running Solaris 10 in a disk image and Parallels Desktop 3.0 5608, on OSX 10.5.5.

I'm posting this to the apple developer forums as well since an "aborted" shutdown really shouldn't cause OSX to freak out like this, but also... I'm pretty sure Parallels should be responding to OSX saying that... "I hear you, I'm shutting down... I'm not done yet... I'm still here, I'm still not done yet..." until the shutdown is completed gracefully.

So it seems that maybe both parties are to blame here? --Unless Parallels is already providing this information correctly and OSX is simply ignoring it... always possible.

Anyway... the workaround is to just shutdown Parallels BEFORE I shutdown my Mac, although this is, to be quite frank, distasteful because there are already mechanisms in place to handle this situation... so I shouldn't HAVE to do that. And, since I paid good money for these products I'd like them to work properly...

I mean, am I right or am I right?

-C.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Did you exit Parallels Desktop before shutdown?

3. cshamis

cshamis Bit poster

No. That's the point of my post.

4. John@Parallels

Solaris, ACPI support is not perfect, and thus Parallels cannot guess is OS is shut down, and waiting

5. cshamis

cshamis Bit poster

Yes, I can see how that could be problematic, but would it be applicable in this case? I mean, when Parallels Desktop gets the shutdown signal from OSX, it puts the guest OS into suspend mode, not shutdown. Surely Parallels can tell when it's finished suspending a running VM?

6. John@Parallels

Yes, steps you described are correct, but problem is that OS doesn't return that signal in case if it is Solaris