Revit crashes in Parallels 5 after using Revit in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by deesee, Jan 21, 2010.

1. deesee

deesee Bit poster

Hey all,

I have Parallels 5 installed on my MacBook Pro (latest model). I use Revit to via Parallels on a daily basis and have had no real problems.

Recently, Apple released the Boot Camp update for Windows 7 so I decided to install BC and Win7 so that I could work in Revit in a full PC environment for better performance. I did that and Revit worked fine (and much faster) within Boot Camp and Win7.

Today, however, I just needed to look at something in my Revit project and I didn't want to reboot in Boot Camp so I decided to just open the file in Parallels 5 instead.

Well, Revit crashes now at startup. See attached jpg for error message. Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts on why this is?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. KristinW

KristinW Bit poster

I've been running this setup on an iMac and have been getting this exact error when I click on the big "R" (Applications Menu). I think it might have something to do with my Shared folders settings as I've been keeping my project files on my Mac side. Or with Parallels Internet Security files (even though I uninstalled PIS).

Here is the link to the thread I've started on the AUGI forum website about it:
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=115654

If you've found a solution for this, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

3. deesee

deesee Bit poster

Actually, I did find a solution. Its probably not the best, and I'm sure if I spent way more time than I want to there is a better solution.

Here's what I did:

1. Create a shortcut on your Windows Desktop to the revit.ini file.
    2. Before opening Revit, double click the revit.ini shortcut.
    3. Scroll to the bottom and delete the line under [ Recent Files ]. It should be the locations of your last few files you opened with Revit.
    4. Save the ini file and close it.
    5. Open Revit.

It sounds like a lot, but it takes 15 seconds. I think the problem has something to do with the directory Boot Camp uses and the directory Parallels uses. Somehow they don't match up and when you open the same file under both environments, Revit gets confused.

Hope this helps.