Resize GUID/GPT "Guest" Filesystems

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Jose Piovanetti, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Jose Piovanetti

Jose Piovanetti Bit poster

I'm creating a Mac OS 10.9.5 VM, Using Parallels Desktop for Mac v9.x, to "temporarily restore" the content of a MacBookPro 17" laptop that I require for work and is being repaired. However, I can't find instructions on creating a Mac OS VM with an HDD larger than the "default" 64GB, nor does Parallels allow me to Resize a GUID partitions / HDs.
    • Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to "Create a new Mac OS Guest VM with a GUID/GPT HDD larger than 64GB"...?
    • Does Parallels Desktop 10.x for Mac manage resizing GUID / GPT filesystems...?
    • What is a guy in my desperate situation to do...?

BTW. How can this same "Post" be made available under the "Mac OS X Guest OS Discussion" forum so that suggestions and/or replies can be accessible by visitors searching either "Forum"...?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

This post is actually better suited for the OS X Guest forum, because you're talking about a ... OS X Guest.

Instead of trying to resize it just add a new virtual disk (+ sign) with the space you need and delete the default one.

3. Mike Lung

Mike Lung Junior Member

When creating the VM, check the box to "Customize settings before installation". Then in the configuration, delete the default hard disk (minus sign) and add a new expanding hard disk (+ sign) at whatever size you want. After you finish the installation, the drive will be able to be resized.