Quicken for Mac on Lion

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PNW Fisherman, Jan 16, 2012.

1. PNW Fisherman

PNW Fisherman Bit poster

I have an aluminum Mac Book (not Mac Book Pro)
    2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM
    100 GB of unused disk space (of a nominal 250GB),
    Mac OS X Lion (10.7.2).

I use Quicken 2005 for Mac (or I could upgrade to 2007 for Mac), which requires Rosetta.

Presently, I am booting into Snow Leopard (10.6), from a separate external hard drive, to use Quicken.

I want a better solution.
    Since 1985, I am a Macintosh partisan; I don’t do Windows.
    So Quicken for Windows in Fusion is not a solution for me.

Is there a Fusion solution, to use Quicken for Mac 2005 from within Lion (10.7.)
    I prefer to keep Snow Leopard (10.6) for Quicken, but if absolutely necessary I could downgrade further (I may still have the distribution disks for Tiger -- somewhere.)

Thank you for your service.

2. PNW Fisherman

PNW Fisherman Bit poster

oops I misspoke

I must have been dazed and confused -- In the previous post I used "Fusion" when I meant "Parallels."

3. dandrake

dandrake Junior Member

Don't know of any good answers myself, and not enough of an expert to think of any; but I have read of the great care with which Apple defends itself against such evils as anybody running Snow Leopard under some kind of virtualization system in order to run necessary programs that Apple has decided to make obsolete. It has been discussed in this forum, and unfavorable comments about the excellent folk at Apple corporate are deprecated here.

However, a couple of weeks ago Intuit formally announced that they'd repented of their neglect of Mac, and they intend to release a Quicken version for Lion! Really. And do other good things for that platform. To find out when this will happen, stay tuned. And patient.

4. PNW Fisherman

PNW Fisherman Bit poster

Thank you for your reply

I did see the Intuit announcement.
    I admit it's probably a failing on my part, but my wounds from Intuit have yet to heal.
    It's possible that my memory fails, but I think Quicken was born on the Macintosh, and I am certain that MacIntax, now TaxPro was. (My first Mac was the "Fat Mac," all of 512 kB in 1984.)
    That Intuit a company, which was born and nurtured by the Mac community, would so insult and abuse us over the past decade will take some time to heal over.

I was hoping I could "vote" for Parallels with my money, and against the abuser.

Thank you for your service,
    PNW (Pacific Northwest) Fisherman
    I am a Macintosh Partisan -- I don't do Windows.

5. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

6. PNW Fisherman

PNW Fisherman Bit poster

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you MichaelLAX. A very useful link.

7. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

I have been using Quicken 2007 for Lion with good success, but like you, I am no big fan of Intuit! But, alas, I am stuck with Quicken... :)

Let me know if you need any help with the Parallels solution over at MacRumors...