Quicken Attachments

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JimPLex, Dec 28, 2011.

1. JimPLex

JimPLex Bit poster

I have Parallels 7 running Win 7 on Max OS X Lion. Quicken 2011 for Windows is working very well using Parallels, however I cannot attach PDF files to the transactions in quicken. It keeps saying that the file is in use by another program, but I know that the file is not in use. Any thoughts? Does the file appear to be "in use" because it is running under Parallels?

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In my opinion, the only relation that problem might have to Parallels is if you are using shared folders between Mac and Windows and the same file is open on the Mac side. If you opened the same file on the mac side close the program you opened it with.

Just to give you an example, if you attach a file to an email in Mail.app on the Mac you can't delete the file until you close Mail.app even after sending the email (and even thou Mail actually copied the file and converted it to ascii to include it in the email). So Mail.app is an example of an app that, for some reason, doesn't free the file from its claws.

3. JimPLex

JimPLex Bit poster

Still No Luck

Thank you for the reply. The files are not open in anything on either side. I have even rebooted so that only parallels running quicken is opened and any file (located anywhere on the system) returns a "file is in use" statement back from quicken when I try to attach it. For some reason Quicken sees the file as in use. I can also move the file around into other folders, etc. which would also indicate that it isn't open.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Seems like a problem with Quicken.

5. JimPLex

JimPLex Bit poster

I agree, but the problem only occurs when Quicken is running under Parallels.

6. RoverM

RoverM Bit poster

Hello Jumplex!

Did you find the way to solve your attachment error?

Are you sure that you do everything right and this is quicken error?

7. JimPLex

JimPLex Bit poster

Solved

I was able to solve the problem just this morning. The issue turned out to be the location of the Quicken file on the system. The file was stored on the "common" drive for OSX and the virtual machine. To Quicken, the file looked like it was occupied. I moved the Quicken file to the "root" on the virtual machine and all of the attachments reappeared and I was now able to add new attachments.

Bottom line is that the key is where you locate the file.

Thanks to all for you suggestions and input.

Happy New Year

8. nucleartax

nucleartax Junior Member

This works perfectly. It also works when you save it to ANY directory...even the same one. It appears that this is constrained to Quicken 2011 files upgraded to 2012 and 2011 files moved to a Parallels virtual machine. Once they are copied and saved back on the machine, old documents and new ones are visible and can be manipulated in Quicken.

To be more specific. Take your exisiting file and follow the steps below:
    - Click "File"
    - Click "Save a copy as..."
    - Move to the original directory or any directory you choose on your Windows accessed machine.
    - Enter File Name
    - Dialog will ask - "would you like to use the copied file now" - click yes
    - Dialog will ask "close the current file" - click yes.

Worked immediately...thank you JimPLex...that it awesome.

More here: https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_fu...O/cannot-attach-a-file-to-a-transaction-entry

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  9. lisakr

lisakr Bit poster

I just loaded quicken 2011, parallels 7 on a MAc Book Pro. I'm not getting any letters in the little blocks in quicken, such as cancel, yes, no just the blank boxes. Also, when I go to the upper right hand side to update, not words come just a symbol and when I try to accept payments it doesn't mark it cleared in my register. any help is appreciated