Possible To Use Mavericks in Parallels?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TonyJohansen, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TonyJohansen

TonyJohansen Bit poster

I run OS X 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro.

Is it possible to install the new Mavericks 10.9.x in Parallels which is running inside Snow Leopard?

2. ChristianF2

ChristianF2 Bit poster

I'd like to know this also.

I find the information on the Parallels site concerning Mavericks as a guest OS rather confusing (still talking about Developer Preview).

Why not state (simple table) what combination is possible, like "Will it run inside Parallels desktop 7 at all ?" or do I need at least v8?
    What host system is possible?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  3. TonyJohansen

TonyJohansen Bit poster

@ChristianF2
    Since posting this question I made enquiries via support and it seems that currently Mavericks is not currently supported but that it will hopefully come via an update at some point in the future to Parallels Desktop 9

4. DMWH99

DMWH99 Bit poster

I had email from parallels yesterday saying my parallels 7 won't work with Mavericks and that I need to update (gave link) to parallel 9 to use mavericks. Support answer above can't be accurate.

5. TonyJohansen

TonyJohansen Bit poster

@DMWH99
    You might be confusing host and guest. This thread is about using Mavericks inside a Virtual Machine inside Parallels where the host OS is Snow Leopard. I think you are probably referring to using Parallels within Mavericks and hosting other OS in Virtual Machines within that. I never had any doubt that Parallels would be working within Mavericks as an app, just whether or not it can host Mavericks in VM.

Hopefully that is not even more confusing :)

6. TonyJohansen

TonyJohansen Bit poster

Woo Hoo!!
    I notice today that the Parallels web site has updated the list of guest OS to include OS X Mavericks 10.9

Now I need to figure out how to get it into a Virtual Machine.

7. German Dude

German Dude Junior Member

If you run Mavericks on your host you can use the "Install from recovery partition" option. Parallels 9 does not support a clean install from the InstallESD.dmg file yet.
    I just talked to the support.

HTH