Parallels Running OSX Performance

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Lee4, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Lee4

Lee4 Member

Hi, just installed OSX 10.10.5 as VM on my Mac Mini and performance is terrible - much worse than running a Windows guest OS - is there anything I need to do additionally?
    Surprised that the performance is so worse comparatively...

thx

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Lee4, Go to Actions > Configure > Options > Optimization > disable Free Space: Real-time Virtual Disk Optimization.
    Open virtual machine configuration > switch to Options tab > Optimization tab > Set performance to Faster virtual machine; check Enable adaptive hypervisor and Tune Windows for speed. If you're not running on battery power, you can also turn on the Better performance option.

3. Lee4

Lee4 Member

Hi, thanks - that's definitely made some improvements.
    Can't seem to locate the "Tune Windows for speed" option... This is what I have

upload_2016-4-22_19-30-6.png

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Lee,
    You don't have to look for that option in a Mac VM. You could also try increasing the virtual memory and graphic memory available under 'Hardware' tab.
    Let us know if you still have issues with performance.

5. Lee4

Lee4 Member

Hi, I've upped the memory to 4G and screen memory to 256M. Screen updates are still clunky but it's usable for my purposes...

6. Lee4

Lee4 Member

FYI, upgraded to OSX 11 over the weekend and created a new VM using OSX 11 and not seeing any of the problems I was with the 10 VM

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Please reproduce the issue and share a Report ID number http://kb.parallels.com/9058 along with your contact number so that we will check it for you. Thanks!