Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac updates summary

Discussion in 'Product updates and feedback' started by IvanD@Parallels, Sep 10, 2024.

1. IvanD@Parallels

IvanD@Parallels Parallels Team

Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac 20.0.1 (55659)
    This update for Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac 20.0.1 (55659) addresses overall stability and performance issues.
    Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac 20.0.0 (55653)
    The new major Parallels Desktop version 20.0.0 (55653) delivers the following improvements:
    All editions of Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac
    Ready for macOS Sequoia 15
    Parallels Desktop 20 supports the upcoming macOS Sequoia 15 as a primary OS on Mac and as a virtual machine, so you can upgrade your Mac computers once the new operating system becomes available.
    Look and Feel
    • Brings significant improvements in the reliability and usability of Parallels Tools, which have been reworked using native UI in all supported operating systems: Windows, Linux, and macOS.
    Windows on Mac
    • Adds support for Windows 11 24H2 once it becomes available. Based on our testing, Windows 11 version 24H2 improves the stability and speed of running x86-based apps in Windows on Arm, making many important Windows apps feasible on Apple Silicon Macs;
    • Fixes the dynamic resolution issues when running a Windows 11 24H2 virtual machine in a windowed mode;
    • Improves the safety of the Windows file deletion process by sending files deleted from shared folders to macOS Trash instead of permanently deleting them;
    • Fixes the wireframe rendering issue in the Rhino 8 app on Apple Silicon Macs;
    • Fixes the issue of Houdini 20 modeling software displaying graphical glitches and missing parts of modeled objects;
    • Improves compatibility with numerous Windows apps, including ArcGIS Pro, LabVIEW, Ninja Trader, and many more;
    • Mitigates the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) compatibility issues for Windows 11 machines running on Apple Silicon Macs by defaulting to WSL 1 instead of WSL 2.
    Linux on Mac
    • Adds support for newer Linux distributions, such as Fedora 39/40, Kali 2024.2, and Ubuntu 24.04;
    • Resolves the issue which prevented Ubuntu 24.04 installation on Intel Macs;
    • Adopts the high-level FUSE API for the Parallels Tools to eliminate multiple compatibility issues with newer Linux kernel versions;
    • Adds support for IPP printing from Linux virtual machines, enabling you to print from Linux using a printer connected to your Mac;
    • Adds updated icons for Ubuntu, Fedora, and Kali Linux distributions;
    • Fixes the issue with the keyboard and mouse not working during the manual installation of an Ubuntu virtual machine.
    macOS (in a virtual machine)
    • Allows you to sign into an Apple Account from macOS 15+ virtual machines running on Apple Silicon Macs (requires both your Mac and the virtual machine to run macOS Sequoia 15 or newer).
    Note: This feature does not yet let you sign into the Mac App Store or Xcode;
    • Adds support for creating snapshots of macOS virtual machines on Apple Silicon Macs.
    Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac Pro Edition
    • Introduces Parallels AI Package, a Linux-based virtual machine tailor-made to allow developers and students to quickly learn and begin developing machine learning, large language models (LLMs), and computer vision applications. The package is available via the Visual Studio Code extension catalog. Read more about AI Package here;
    • Adds the ability to control virtual machines using natural language with Microsoft Copilot integrated into the Visual Studio Code extension;
    • Adds support for using GitHub Actions to automate the deployment and management of virtual machines directly from a GitHub repository, e.g., triggering a virtual machine provisioning, testing, and configuration as part of a specific pipeline;
    • Improves the Parallels Packer plugin experience for macOS virtual machines running on Apple Silicon Macs by automating the initial setup process using the Apple Vision framework (OCR).
    Software developers and IT pros using Parallels Desktop are welcome to share their feedback about these improvements, discuss feature suggestions, and have fun with like-minded people at the Parallels Desktop Discord channel.
    Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac Business Edition
    • Adds the ability to control and orchestrate multiple Parallels Desktop hosts and virtual machines using our new Parallels Desktop for DevOps service;
    • Improves compatibility with multiple MDM solutions (e.g., Microsoft Intune) thanks to a re-engineered deployment package that supports downloading pre-configured virtual machines from cloud-sourced and network storage destinations.
    Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac Enterprise Edition (coming later in 2024)
    Introducing the new tier: Enterprise Edition, coming later this fall. This edition is designed specifically for organizations that require more control, visibility, and efficiency in managing large-scale virtual environments. Enterprise Edition will:
    • Streamline the deployment of virtual machines, saving time and effort;
    • Let you assign policies across groups of machines or users;
    • Enable improved visibility into your managed virtual machines.
    If your company is interested in this solution, please contact our sales team here.
    What was deprecated or removed from Parallels Desktop 20
    According to the statistics from the users who participate in the Parallels Customer Experience program, some product features are used very seldom or not at all. We have decided to either stop supporting them or completely remove them from Parallels Desktop and focus on frequently used features and further enhancements.
    Below is the list of features that are no longer supported and have been removed in Parallels Desktop for Mac 20.
    On all Mac computers, the following things are no longer supported:
    • Network boot for Windows, macOS, and Linux virtual machines.
    On Mac computers with Intel processors, the following things are no longer supported:
    • Support for network and USB emulation that relies on kernel extensions;
    • Support for macOS 10.5 to 10.8 and Oracle Solaris virtual machines.

2. LeifJ

LeifJ Bit poster

But now chance to download, cause it always the "new" Installer gets inly the latest 19 Version

3. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello LeifJ,

Thank you for mentioning this, please be informed that this issue has now been fixed and the installer will install version 20 by default.

4. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

V20 has killed my windows VM, just a black screen now, and loads of critical errors. Latest being

Is there a way of reverting to v19 please?

Thanks

Andy

5. AndreasK27

AndreasK27 Junior Member

Can you please clarify, if you implemented the following features (I have 2 Pro subscriptons):
    * Do you provide nested hypervisor support for VMs with MacOS Sequoia and M3+ Apple silicon? E.g. can I then run WSL2,... - I need this for a decision, if I will upgrade to M3 machines.
    * I assume DirectX support is still at DX11. And no DirectML,... - your "pro" AI features are all based on a linux-VM?
    Thanks in advance.

6. AndreasK27

AndreasK27 Junior Member

Clarification on the 2nd question re the "Parallels AI" package - I assume this is in a VM, so no GPU/ANE acceleration (except if you implemented Vulkan/VirGL). Correct?

7. FilipR

FilipR Member

I have Parallels Desktop Pro 19 on my MacPro 5,1 and it keeps me asking to upgrade to version 20, but 20 is not compatible with Monterey. How can I disable it?

8. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

Ok, anyone else getting this: From support, Hemshikha Seetul told me to change the hypervisor to "Apple" which I did and everything started working again. Excellent support.

9. FAEA

FAEA

Hi Bob,
    I also encountered the same problem, how to solve it?

10. MarcelK12

MarcelK12 Bit poster

After upgrading to version 20.0 we have a black screen in Windows 10.

We have sent technical data - ID 469416175

Please support

11. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello! Parallels Desktop 20 is compatible with macOS Monterey, so you can upgrade to the latest version.

12. MarcelK12

MarcelK12 Bit poster

After downgrading to version 19.4.1, Windows 7 is functional again

13. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello MarcelK12,

Kindly perform the following actions to attempt a resolution of this issue.

1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut it down (Actions > Shut Down). Repeat for all virtual machines.
    2. Click on the Parallels icon in the Mac menu bar > Control Center > Right-click on the virtual machine > Configure.
    3. Hardware > CPU & Memory > Advanced > Hypervisor > select Apple > tick the Adaptive hypervisor on.

Kindly let us know if this resolves the issue.

MarcelK12 likes this.
  14. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Snapshots are still buggy with a large number of VMs. With 11 guests (none powered on), it will attempt to produce snapshots of all of them at once, and one or more snapshots will fail when this happens.

Please consider, Parallels: If multiple snapshots are due, snapshot only one or two machines at a time. Put the rest in a queue! Even if the snapshots don't fail, doing this many in parallel will always be slower. This many in parallel requires more total disk space while it works. And this many in parallel increases the opportunity for data loss if the machine hangs. I suspect that limiting concurrent snapshots and adding a simple service queue would be a simple fix.

15. AkosB

AkosB Bit poster

I'm on intel mac.
    In the deprecated features, could you explain this: dropping "Support for network and USB emulation that relies on kernel extensions"
    I'm using serial to usb converters, usb-c ethernet dongles, and many usb based hardware keys. Will these type of devices affected?

16. MarcelK12

MarcelK12 Bit poster

Thank you for your help, everything is working now

17. RobH23

RobH23 Bit poster

Further to AkosB's question, our IT department has said that their experience with 20.0.1-55659 on Intel Macs has been that network comms has slowed significantly. Any feedback?